ss2r header question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ss2r header question

Howdy Kat riders,
    what I have is an early 80s suzuki gs and a V+H SS2R exhaust system off of a 91 Kat 600. I'm trying to make the 2 of them get along. I managed the pipes to the right spacing, but the flanges? or collars? To bolt to the engine won't work. How do I remove them? There aren'the any welds that I can see it looks like some kind of pressed on spacer holding them on. Any tips? You seemed like the folks to ask.

They are pressed and swedged. If they are slightly too big, you could just file them down. My guess would be the pipe may also be too big.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The bolt pattern is off on the flanges and I think its too much to just file the holes bigger. Pipe OD and ID are the same as my old system. Guess I'll have to get creative.

Comment

You stated the collers are to big, now the bolt pattern is off on the flanges? Is it one or both problems. You can have a welder cut the header and swap your collers and or flanged on to them. Shouldn't cost much and it would be repaired correctly.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          You stated the collers are to big, now the bolt pattern is off on the flanges? Is it one or both problems.
          I said:
          "the flanges? or collars? To bolt to the engine won't work" I don't know where you are getting 'too big' from. Maybe I've got my terms wrong. The circular chunks of metal you put two bolts through to the engine. Do you call those collars or flanges? I've heard them called both. The bolt pattern is wrong on them.

I'm going to try and file them but I think there wont be enough metal to get the right spacing. I was mainly wondering if there was a way to remove that spacer and take them off. You said it's swedged so I guess not.

Thanks for the help
          Last edited by ezmack; 01-17-2015, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Gotcha those are flanges or retainers, coller are the round rings around the pipes. A welder Could fab/refit new retainers or refit your old retainers to the header. You could make new retainers that can be removed from the header like an OEM katana retainer, wouldn't be hard at all, just off set the header hole but keep the bolt patern at what you need. Then cut the old retainer off.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 01-17-2015, 10:19 PM.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
            X