No announcement yet.
X

Keeping front wheel up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I got my front wheel suspended today. Used two standard bricks on each side of the front tire. One brick laying lengthwise, and the second standing straight up on top of the first brick. A small block of wood covered with cloth was placed on top of the straight up brick. Do this on right and left sides.

There's probably no more than about 50 pounds on the front tire when the bike is on the centerstand. So I just lifted the bottoms of both front forks and kicked a piece of wood under the front tire, keeping the tire about one inch off the floor. Then I placed the bricks, etc., under the fork bottoms, and removed the wood from under the tire. Result is a free spinning suspended front wheel. The house of cards seems stable.

Dee Dub, the top tree seems to be the right place to tie the bike, if the ceiling tie method is used.

Kickitjp, its good to know that other people have come up with ways to suspend the bike when heavy lifting is required.

Comment

I think hs2020 mentioned he has his suspended as well at some point before he got his stands.

Comment

Unless you de-flate your tires they will not flatspot due to the cold.

Comment

Easy. I put a 2by4 on end resting the cross member of the front frame that runs behind the headers on it. Both wheel are now of the ground by about 1".

Hope this make sense.:smt015
          Always take the long way home.

Comment

Originally posted by SOULRIDER
            Yeah , but sitting for a while will do it . And my front tire likes to spontaneously lose air . It was flat yesterday .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

just add a pound or two of air that required. Just remember to deflate it in the spring

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                Originally posted by SOULRIDER
                Yeah , but sitting for a while will do it . And my front tire likes to spontaneously lose air . It was flat yesterday .
                Yeah, it's funny what happens when you stick a screw driver into a valve stem.

All that air...

Comment

That's it , you owe me a new set of tires . Wait , I filled it back up and it seems fine . : Maybe I'll set up the camcorder at the window ....
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X