X

I flunk the road test today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California experiences

I read the MSF book, the DMV driver's handbook, and the DMV motorcycle handbook, and passed the DMV written exams before the MSF classroom session. I had to take an abbreviated general driver exam (half as many questions) along with the motorcycle exam, because it had been more than one year since I got my car driver's license.

Upon completion of the DMV written exam, I got an instructional permit. That gave me the right to drive a motorcycle on the public roads with a few restrictions: no passengers, no freeways, and daylight only.

I passed both DMV written exams and the MSF written exam with perfect scores. I test well in this sort of stuff because I have lots of practice in both knowing what to study and knowing how to take the tests. I also passed the FAA's exams for Private, Instrument, and Commercial pilots with none less than 98% scores.

In California, MSF administers a riding test at the end of the Basic Rider Course. If you pass, the school mails you a certificate, which the DMV accepts in lieu of the DMV's riding test. I don't know what the DMV's riding test is like. The MSF riding test consists of:
    -slow figure-8 in a tight box
    -obstacle swerve
    -sudden stop
    -accelerate thru a curve
    -brake then accelerate thru a curve
    For the test you got one shot at each task.

I dabbed once (first time ever) during the figure-8, and lost a point. Also, I had been challenging myself by riding briskly through the curves in all the practice sessions. But during the test I slowed down for accuracy and lost a point for going too slow. Sigh...

So now I'm eminently qualified to ride a 20-year-old clapped-out 250cc standard bike on a parking lot, and I can also legally kill myself and a passenger, any time, on any public roadway I choose.

Comment

Originally posted by nitros222
      Here In Wisconsin. The road test is on the road they give you a headset and tell you where to go down the city streets.
      How do the guys with loud pipes and no helmets fair on the test?

Comment

Wow , you should move to Ky. Our test is insanely easy . I passed it on a full-dressed cruiser . Easy slalom course , accelerate/break in a straight line giving three gears , then you're done .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah seems like PA gets off pretty easy too. Course is very easy, and takes nothing to get ur permit to ride on the streets, except for $10.00 !!

Comment

Working...
          X