X

Switching out Suzuki guage for temp gauge

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching out Suzuki guage for temp gauge

is there a way to change out the far right gauge on a 99 kat that has the big "S" on it for a tempature guage? or in that case can you change it out for any guage?

I can't answer you cuz I have no idea what kind of guage would have a big S on it. do you mean an S like the suzuki logo? do you even know what guage it is? fuel? voltage? I am not familiar with the guages on those model kats, but is it really worth losing one of those guages for a temp guage? is over-heating enough of an issue in ohio to need it?
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

There isn"t a lot of room inside there. And I think if my memory serves me right the circuit board is at that point for the rest of the gauges.
      Bike is sold

Comment

On my 02, the far right guage is the fuel gauge. Not something I want to lose, regardless of how accurate it is.

Try getting a gauge cup and mounting somehow.
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

For those not in the know, 98 and 99 600cc Kats (not sure about the 750cc) don't have a clock, instead, their gauges look like this. The far right "gauge" is empty, with simply a Suzuki logo in it. I believe this was changed in '00+ models, but I'm not sure.

I haven't seen what's behind the empty gauge, but Spedee mentioned that there's not a lot of room behind the logo-gauge, possibly not enough for a temp gauge.

I *think* CP installed his temp gauge within the black plastic trim that follows the side fairings around the forks...
          "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Unless your gauge is surface-mount, it won't fit in the slot you're talking about (you've been clock-blocked!). Teh_K is correct that the circuit board for the 98+ Kats runs under that opening, and in the case of the Kats that have the clock, provides the power-feed to the pins off the back of the clock (which itself is a flat surface mount onto the circuit board).

Good Luck!
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Teh_K is correct that the circuit board for the 98+ Kats runs under that opening...
              That was all Spedee - props to him. I just reiterated it and added a photo showing the OP's setup for those who aren't familiar with it.
              "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
                For those not in the know, 98 and 99 600cc Kats (not sure about the 750cc) don't have a clock, instead, their gauges look like this. The far right "gauge" is empty, with simply a Suzuki logo in it. I believe this was changed in '00+ models, but I'm not sure.

I haven't seen what's behind the empty gauge, but Spedee mentioned that there's not a lot of room behind the logo-gauge, possibly not enough for a temp gauge.

I *think* CP installed his temp gauge within the black plastic trim that follows the side fairings around the forks...
                Yes the 750's are the same.
                Bike is sold

Comment

The 1999 750 doesnt have a clock either.

EDIT:: oops, is there an echo in here?

Comment

Correct - my '99 750 has the same type of cluster layout. That silly "S" thing has been buggin' me from day #1. Something else needs to go there. Like a boost gauge. Or a lap timer.
                    ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                    Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

yeah i think im going to check it out and see if i can somehow make soething fit...if not looks like i will be putting a clock in

Comment

Working...
                      X