X

Accidents and Wrecks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidents and Wrecks

I'm new to riding, with my Kat being my first bike. I am also new to KR. I have no idea how many regular posting members there are to this site, but every morning it seems like I am reading about another fellow member's accident - whether it is getting hit by a cager, hitting pedestrians (actually jaywalkers), or just simply overshooting a corner. I know that every time we swing a leg over the seat we are assuming risk. I know that high risk means high reward. I also know that many of us have been diagnosed with OAD, or overactive adrenaline disorder, in which the only cure is to specifically ride a Kat hard for at least an hour 3x daily (dosage varies) Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm starting to wonder when it is my turn to write one of these - I hope never (but I guess being able to write one of these is better then not being able to - i.e. dead)

Thanks to all who hear my ramblings. Everyone ride safe!!!
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting," Holy sh*t!!! What a ride!!!"

You know I was just thinking about this here of late too. Way too many accidents involving our KR family and their friends. It always hits home especially for each one of us on katriders because we are all pretty tight and alot of us have met many of the other members, ride together often or even periodically, and of course spend ALOT of time hanging out here on the site.

You never know when it might be your turn to sit here posting up a thread about an accident you or someone you know has been involved in...but all we can do is do everything in our power to keep ourselves as safe as possible every single time we ride. No matter whether its down to the store or across the country or anywhere in between. Wear your gear, keep your head on a swivel, make yourself as visible as possible at all times, and remember your training and experience thats kept the rubber side down for you.

And one of the most important things of all.. Never twist the throttle with your ego.

Stay safe everyone !!

Comment

It's not a Katriders only thing, every board I post or lurk on has an increase in crashes come riding season.

Shit happens. But learn from other people, I always ask how people's gear held up when I read about a crash if they don't mention it. It's sad but true that nothing gives you an idea of an items quality until someone slides down the road in it.
      Kyle

Comment

<SNIP> And one of the most important things of all.. Never twist the throttle with your ego. </SNIP>

Amen!

Comment

The good news is that the more experienced you get, the less likely you are to wreck due to panic reactions.

That said, in the US, I tend to find a lot of people either ignoring improving their skill-set or concentrating on performance-prowess skills (such as "Twist of the Wrist II" by Keith Code), instead of expanding their informational perception/accident avoidance skills (such as the British "RoadCraft" system). My advice is to do advance both sets of skills...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If you look at accident stats, they're through the roof. Everyone thinks they don't have to be responsible because that's what insurance and those astronomical premiums are for.

I never had an accident in my life until about 3 years ago. In that time I've been hit (in my car) no less than 5 times!!! None were my fault, but rather people not paying attention. 3 were by people on cell phones.

Each time I wonder how I could have avoided it, but I can't see how, except that I drive a once-sweet looking Celica that has become the bumper car for the hysteria of SUVs where I moved to about that time. I think about this all the time on my Kat though. It's almost fate as to whether someone's not going to pay attention and cream me.
            MikeG
            Central Oregon
            2006 Suzuki GSX600F
            (That's a Katana for non-insurance-agent people!)

Comment

I'm wondering if it's only a matter of time before I am hit by another vehicle. Cell phone distraction is becoming so prevalent that there is scarcely a day in which I have an "encounter" with a distracted driver.
              "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Drivers just don't seem to give a shiate about the others on the road... be it car, truck, bike, or pedestrian...
                Their training has really got to become more strict... Licenses are just like a prize in box of CrackerJax it seems... Any dumba$$ can get one...
                2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

i have always heard there are two kind of riders, those who have gone down and those who will may god be with us when it 's our turn
                  luv my 95 katana

Comment

Working...
                  X