Maiden Voyage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden Voyage

Well,

After changing the oil and painting the header and removing the lower fairing Friday, I changed the oil again yesterday to a lighter weight for much easier shifting and then took my maiden voyage on the bike today.

I'm a little goofy and rusty after a year off plus a bit gun-shy having ended on a bad note last year. But..........

It was great! My hips need to get used to the bigger spread on this gas can and higher feet than the bandit. Also, the rear being narrower steps out a bit easier on gravel/sand. But I really like how quickly this heavy bike turns in on the narrow tires!

The bike has a nice raspy sound through the yosh that a previous owner put on. The engine is very smooth and really pulls if I twist the wrist. I'm not up for pushing anything right now though. But each sucessive corner was smoother and more fun as I rode. The commute to work is going to be fun again and I'm really looking forward to it!

Chris

Lighter weight ?
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Always great to get back in the saddle again after a layoff like that. Take it easy and ride safe.

Comment

Weight, yeah went from 15W50 to 5W30 oil made a big difference in shifting.

Good advice Matt, yes I'm going to take it slow and easy!

It's great to be back in the saddle, I'm actually looking forward to my commute in to work tomorrow.

Comment

But , doesn't it call for 10-40 ?
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            But , doesn't it call for 10-40 ?
            Yes, it does. And API SF/SG or SH, not API SJ/SL/SM.
            There's no JASO-MA or API SF/SG rated 5w30 on the market to my knowledge (there is one 5w40, and that's Castrol's R4).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I think it was SF/SG on the bottle I'll have to look in the trash. It was Mobil 1 super syn, I used that in my Bandit with no clutch problems. Of course this is an older bike so if it has older material clutch plates and starts slipping I'll kick myself....

And then get some new kevlar clutch plates and a stronger spring.

Comment

If it was mobil 1 and it was 5w30, it was API SM and it was a car oil.

Is SL or SM better than SF/SG for my Motorcycle?
                API's Standards Rating is influenced by government mandates (such as pollution control), and thus oils meeting newer ratings do not necessarily perform better (or even the same as) oils meeting an older rating, depending on your motorcycle engine type. API standards are created for automobile engines, not motorcycle engines. For their rating system explained, see the API MOTOR OIL GUIDE (new guide with SM classification on it .

Also see this thread: http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10186
                Where I post the API's direct response to my asking about use of API SJ/SL/SM rated oils in wet-clutch motorcycle applications.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hi CP,

I just read the article on oil on your website, very informative. I'l;l probably go look for the Mobil 1 MX4T.

Chris

Comment

sounds like cyber just saved you some big $$$$$

Comment

CP saves the day!

We need to figure out a logo...then I'm sending you a big red cape to wear at your computer while you post on KR.

'89 Toyota Supra Targa N/A
                      '90 Supra Turbo- mods in profile
                      '96 Kat 750-mods in profile--SOLD!!
                      '96 Honda CBR900rr -- I go outside and hump it at night.
                      '02 Honda CBR954rr -- Red, 'cause it's faster!

Comment

Lunch or dinner when we meet up some day will be fine... or help someone else like I helped you.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                        X