Demons taunt me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demons taunt me

This is just a rant.

I bought my 93 Katana 750 about 6 weeks ago. It is my 2nd bike. I got a good deal and was looking forward to riding something sportier than my first bike.

After riding about 400 miles (1.5 days of riding around):
    It had poor tires and some other problems, we all have excuses, long story short, I had a little crash in the gravel. Bent forks, bent triple tree, bent handlebar, messed up fairings, bent the exhaust, destroyed some turn signals and a mirror. I had some very slight scrapes.

We get the bike home and my best friend evar pulled some spare Katana 750 parts out of his closet: forks, triple tree, handlebar, fairings, turn signals, and mirrors. We had the bike mostly back together, although the fairings didn't match and the turn signal wiring was a mess.

All things considered, the only really serious damage was the bent fork tube. Everything else was either a cheap part off eBay or something that could be dealt with creatively.

I got it home, jacked it up, got the wheels off, ordered some tires, and had them installed. I spent the next 2 weeks repainting the fairings and messing with the signal wiring. Of course, I need to have the bike reinspected because the previous inspection sticker is on the old fork tubes. Big deal, but still a hassle.

I get the bike all the way back together and go for a test ride. MASSIVE head wobble, just on the verge of uncontrollable. GREAT. I order new steering head bearings and they arrive just in time for me to go on a 1.5 week vacation.

I come back from vacation and my best friend evar helps with the steering head bearings, we redo the fork oil, change all the brake pads (hell, why not?) and get the fairings and wiring back on the bike.

SWEET. After 6 weeks of owning the bike, I can get it inspected and ride it EVERY DAY plus WHEN I'M SLEEPING. FINALLY.

It passes inspection with flying colors. The dude says, "Where do you want the sticker?" I say, "Just on the forks." (WHERE EVERY @#$@ INSPECTION STICKER SHOULD GO.) I didn't realize that this mechanic was a CREATIVE guy with CREATIVE SOLUTIONS.

AAAaahh.

He puts the inspection sticker on the INNER fork tube just above the wiper. I didn't think to look and didn't notice. After riding 15 miles, my helmet is covered in fork oil; the inner fairings, fender, brake caliper, rotor, and tire is covered in fork oil; the inspection sticker is mostly scraped off; I'm REALLY !@#$ MAD.

After some tense conversation, the inspection mechanic agreed that they screwed up and would pay to have it fixed. I ride it to my bike mechanic's (in 427 F heat) and they say, "Dang I've never seen fork seals blow like that!" There's probably no oil left inside it at all. It looks like a bottle of baby oil exploded behind my headlight. It's literally dripping off of everything on the front side of the bike between the top of the steering head and the pavement. I get a written estimate ($200). They MIGHT be able to do the job next week. I ride back to the inspection station (this time it's 428 F - not a joke) and he signs and dates the estimate for me.

And I go home. Screw this. I'm not going back to work. (It's now 431 F - honest to God) I'm drinking beer and looking forward to late August.

By the end of August, I will have owned this bike for 8 weeks and will have seriously ridden it for only 3 or 4 days.

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh.. AhahHAAAHAhhaAHAAAAHhh.

Just flipping out a little bit. Thanks for reading my rant.
    former dc beltway daily commuter

Sorry to hear that man. After putting in all that work this had to be annoying as hell. Well on the bright side, it's gonna be TOO FRIGGIN HOT to ride the next week or so. We're all (east coasters) gonna be stuck indoors.
    Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Dude get the $200 and buy new fork seals ($20)
      New oil ($12) and beer ($168)...

It will get better..
      Just be glad you're not in Texas.. Its around 427 degrees all summer..
      427 Celcius that is...

Comment

wow ya, i have to replace my seals. but im not going to spend 200 dollars on it. do it myself... or ill get peter to help me
        ~chris

Comment

Belive it or not that is the going rate..
          I was way shocked...

And I only charge $50 in beer

Comment

I would take the money and pocket the check, except for a few factors:

1) I live in an apartment and people are complaining about my mechanic projects in the parking lot. I finished everything that the bike needed for awhile and was going to let that situation cool off.

2) The inspection guy wants to pay the actual mechanic directly, so he's only going to pay $200 after the labor has been performed. So there's no way I can get the cash and do it myself.

3) I'm freaking tired of sitting in 732 F weather and working on my bike. I want to ride it. Other people can fix this situation for me.

I'm just wandering around the house mumbling, "I can't believe what they did to my motorcycle... with an F'ing sticker..."

Hate somebody who rides a bike? I know how you can screw him over with a pack of Hello Kitty stickers. Hehehehe

Comment

Sheesh, 400+ degrees? Yall need to ride up here in MN... it was 98 out last week... 62 for this morning's ride... man was that ever nice

So, quick question (we don't have inspections around here)... how did thier mechanic mess it up? Do they tear down your bike?

I think I'd move states if another person wanted to go that far on my kat....

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

so he put the sticker right above dust seal?
                ~chris

Comment

Now I'm a bit confused... either you've got:
                  (A) Non-mechanics doing inspections and they don't know their own arse from a hole in the ground, OR
                  (B) you came across the single most retarded motorcycle mechanic on the planet... (but unfortunately part of a larger brotherhood).

=-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    Now I'm a bit confused... either you've got:
                    (A) Non-mechanics doing inspections and they don't know their own arse from a hole in the ground, OR
                    (B) you came across the single most retarded motorcycle mechanic on the planet... (but unfortunately part of a larger brotherhood).

=-= The CyberPoet
                    (A) Yes.

(B) Eh, maybe also yes?

I (used to) trust these guys to work on my car, which I don't do anymore. I did all the work on my bike, but had them inspect it. And yeah, he put the sticker RIGHT ABOVE THE DUST SEAL. I didn't notice it until it was too late, and it only took about 8 miles to destroy the fork seal.

I know I should take some responsibility for this, but seriously, I (and great pal thanks a million) put this bike back together and it was ALL DONE. The only thing left to do was put on one tiny sticker. How could that go wrong? I didn't even think about the harm that could come from putting on a single sticker.

So, that sucks. Hopefully I can ride next weekend.

Comment

try living in texas its always hot like an oven,and dont get me started with the humidity....good luck with the bike

Comment

Working...
                      X