Riding with an I-pod..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding with an I-pod..

Tried riding with an I-pod this past weekend. Here is what I found>
    Maybe because my helmet is older (Shoei RF-800), I had alot of road noise on the highway which had me cranking the volume way up. Out on the twisties it was fine, but too loud because I did'nt stop to lower the volume from the highway. All in all I like the idea of having music while I ride, but I need a way to either eliminate some road noise, or adjust the volume on the fly. What works for you guys????

I have an Ipod video, and found that if I get some sony earbuds they do pretty well in blocking out most of the sound, AND they are pretty comfortable. If I put mypod in my pocket, generally the jeans are tight enough when riding that I can operate it through my pants. Although, I have a case that raises up a bit, so my jeans are pressed down on the ipod.
    I've found that on long (4-5 hours) trips, after a while the vibrations may cause it to lock up.

Comment

I've been using an iPod on the bike for about three years now (and some form of music or communications for over 20). The solution I use is to install high-volume speakers directly into the helmet (instead of using earbuds), and use a set of protective ear plugs in my ears to cut both the volume of the iPod and the wind noise.

How to select & install helmet speakers for music at my website:
      CyberPoet's How to install helmet speakers using traditional headset speakers

Good high-quality reusable/washable noise-reduction earplugs for riding (which I sell at a discount to my KR brothers & sisters):
      CyberPoet's KatRiders' Specials (including permanent hearing protection earplugs)

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I use a set of regular bahind the neck headphones. I used to have a set of speakers mounted in my helmet, but somedone ripped them out when i left my helmet locked to my bike once. As for the volume, i use the griffen airclick mounted to my handlebars, it is one of the best investments i've made. Cyber has a review of it here:

- Bakken (Bah-Kin)

-----------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Bakkendance
          As for the volume, i use the griffen airclick mounted to my handlebars, it is one of the best investments i've made.
          Just to let you know, some little SOB swiped the remote off the handlebars at the mall or a store in the last month or so... left the clip that holds it on, and it's useless without the part that plugs into the iPod, so I'm thinking WTF?

Ah well, I moved over to an iPod Shuffle 1Gb for most of my rides, simply because the battery life is longer.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

we use the Chatter box - plug in our Ipods and the speakers play them - with mic on, the music stops when you start talking or some starts talking to you over the chatter box -

we love them - can't ride without it anymore.
            - d.i.l.l.i.g.a.f. -

Comment

and i am thinking about getting one of those small tv screens (like the ones on the back of the car seats)or just mount the PSP on the bars.YEA RIGHT.i have a mp3 and it sounds good but i do get a lot of noise.

Comment

Two things have work well for me when I ride with my mp3 player:

1) Earbud headphones which have ear-plug style rubber pads that block out wind noise.

2) Headphones which have a volume slider on the cord, so adjusting the volume is as easy as sliding the bar (which sticks out of the collar of my jacket) one way or the other by a fraction of an inch.

Find a pair which has both features (I use Sony's - They were about $30CDN at Best Buy), and you've got it made! 8)
                "The only way out is through."

Comment

I use foam ear plugs when I ride. Cuts out the loud noise yet I can still hear cars and such. Of course I have a MP3 player but that is for when I work out.
                  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                  JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    Originally posted by Bakkendance
                    As for the volume, i use the griffen airclick mounted to my handlebars, it is one of the best investments i've made.
                    Just to let you know, some little SOB swiped the remote off the handlebars at the mall or a store in the last month or so... left the clip that holds it on, and it's useless without the part that plugs into the iPod, so I'm thinking WTF?

Ah well, I moved over to an iPod Shuffle 1Gb for most of my rides, simply because the battery life is longer.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Yeah I found out that it doesn't so if you don't mind would you mail me the other piece so it can work with my i-pod or just because my concience is bothering me if you want I can send it back to you... .....
                    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I have a primarily been using my Roady XT satalite radio on the bike with Etymotic's ER6i ear buds. I do have a MP3 player as well but so far I like using the sat-rad.

I can say, however, the Etymotics have great sound quality but they allow to much wind noise to enter the ear at freeway speeds. Over at my other stomping grounds their was such good comments on the ER6i that I went ahead and bought them. I'll keep them for around the home or for work, but after reading CP's write up on the strip down head phones, I'm gonna give those a try. I normally wear Super Hearos ear plugs (32 dB reduction) so I have become used to a quiet ride, without wind noise.
                      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Bruzza
                        2) Headphones which have a volume slider on the cord, so adjusting the volume is as easy as sliding the bar (which sticks out of the collar of my jacket) one way or the other by a fraction of an inch.

Find a pair which has both features (I use Sony's - They were about $30CDN at Best Buy), and you've got it made! 8)
                        I found the same type over at Target. I don't remember if the were Sony or Phillips.

With the sat-rad, even a the lowest volume level it's still to loud. When I bought the Etymotic's I also bought the Pocket Amp from Electric-Avenues.com. It comes with a volume control knob. So with the in-line volume control on the headphones, I maybe able to skip the amp device altogether. Unless of corse I need an amp to obtain a higher sound to overcome the wind noise and ear plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy
                          So with the in-line volume control on the headphones, I maybe able to skip the amp device altogether. Unless of corse I need an amp to obtain a higher sound to overcome the wind noise and ear plugs.
                          My advice is to be very careful in selecting particularly high sensitivity headphones -- I use 106 dB, and if I could find higher with full frequency response, I'd use it. That's enough that a 32 dB kill from the earplugs still puts out 73 db, or about enough to hear it up to about 90 mph for most songs. Volume knobs, in my experience, are rarely used in such a set-up at highway speeds, and I simply crank it to max after I pop on the helmet.

PS - in the last helmet I purchased (about 8 months ago), I got out the solder and actually soldered in a female mini-stereo jack into the helmet itself. I remember that I did the same back in the early 80's, wanted to try it again, and found I definitely like it better than having the cable hanging out through a grommit. Mute is also as simple as pulling the cable between the devices out of the helmet a little at the jack end.
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            PS - in the last helmet I purchased (about 8 months ago), I got out the solder and actually soldered in a female mini-stereo jack into the helmet itself. I remember that I did the same back in the early 80's, wanted to try it again, and found I definitely like it better than having the cable hanging out through a grommit. Mute is also as simple as pulling the cable between the devices out of the helmet a little at the jack end.
                            That's exactly what I had in mind as well.

Right now I have another window open to eBay looking at Sennheiser headphones. Some of their's go up to 110dB rating.

Comment

Just make sure you leave enough space between the speaker and the ear that it would be almost impossible for it to become a point of transmitted impact force (i.e. - at least 3/8" or more depth from the rest of the cushioning).

Let me know what you find and how it works out.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X