Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Speakers

Hey all,

Anyone here ever buy one of these?

If so, please throw some light on whether they are worth buying. I know someone on KR mentioned that for speakers to be audible in the helmet, they should have a rating of at least 115 dBm. But the rating on the particular model shown in the ebay posting has a max power rating of 50 mW. Which if converted in this website;

shows that the dB rating would be 16.989700 dBm, which seems quite low. I may be wrong somewhere, so please correct me.

Thanks
    2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

They look like they would work but make sure you check your state laws on musical equipment in you helmet..I know in CA you can only have one speaker in an ear the other one must be open...
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I just pulled apart a cheap pair of headphones I had lying around and have never had a problem hearing them

/kiba
      find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

Dont remember where I read it, but I think its legal to use them in Texas.
        2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

I have tried ripping the headphones before. I have actually ripped out about three pairs, but none seem loud enough. I have two helmets, a Shoei and an HJC. The headphones seem lound enough on the HJC, cause the helmet is slightly larger and the headphones dont get really baffled by the helmet padding, but while riding at high speeds, air gets in from the sides and thus there's a lot of distortion. The Shoei on the other hand, is a little snug and thus baffles the headphones.
          2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

The current headphones I have in my helmet are rated at 95 dBm. I guess I need to get at least a rating of 115 dBm for them to be audible.
            2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

Please let us know how they sound. They look nice.
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

CyberPoet's Helmet Speaker Webpage, where I recommend the Philips SBC HS500 which are usually available through Target for about $16-$20 and are rated at 106 dB. I haven't found higher rated (or louder) headphones yet and I make it a habit to scan the packages whenever I walk in somewhere that sells headphones.

I'm not particularly keen on super-thin-bodied speakers for music either, because they tend to be optimized for voice frequencies rather than music (meaning they lack a lot in bass response). An extra 4mm of depth can make a serious bass-response difference.

As for the formula you posted, I don't think it applies to headphones at all -- because headphones are never listened to at 1 meter distance (unlike traditional car/home speakers which are rated that way for comparison purposes). Instead, manufacturers normally list max dB at the foam surface covering the speaker, since that is approximately where the ear is placed.

My two cents worth:
                Take them if you solely want to hear human speech. If you want tunes, go find a good set of headphones made for high-fidelity music.

KNOW THIS:
                You could, in theory, use flat-panel drivers to drive your windshield or a piece of plastic inside the windshield acting as the speaker. Suzuki did this with their Stratosphere prototype.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ah hah, I knew I read that info somewhere, it was on motorcycleanchor.com. Thanks again cyber, for the useful information.
                  2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

Great info.
                    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                    JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by katanasoldier
                      Great info.
                      i agree this is good info

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                        They look like they would work but make sure you check your state laws on musical equipment in you helmet..I know in CA you can only have one speaker in an ear the other one must be open...
                        Here's proof: CA Vehicle Code Section 27400.

And I always thought that helmet speakers on both sides were allowed.
                        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Ok...cool...so earplugs or headsets directly in your ears are prohibited but nothing about speakers...I can live with that......thanks squiggy!!!
                          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

This is one of the stickies on the forum;

motorcycle equipment requirements by state:

which includes speaker regulations
                            2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

well actually it includes a regulation for "headphones prohibited"
                              2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

Working...
                              X