X

Securing motorcycle/Best locks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing motorcycle/Best locks

I am taking my bike out of the local storage place and would like to know if anyone knows of a good lock(I heard kriptonite I think that is what it is) I really do not want to put a alarm on it there are tons of alarms on my street and it could be any car lol. I have a concrete pillar in my yard and would attach it there I am looking at cost I pay 75 bucks a month for storage and would rather buy a lock so I don't have to drive to the storage place and leave my car etc... I beleive they sell the kripto lock at my local home depot( I know it sounds ghetto). I was also looking at covers would a universal one do? Thanks
    "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

I know Xena sells a disc lock that has a built in alarm. If someone attempts to move the bike (like in a pick-up theft) it will go off. However, a disc lock is only good as a deterrent if people think it's too much trouble to break the lock. Some of the Kryptonite locks were able to be picked with a Bic pen. Most of this, however, has been resolved with newer designs. I use a Trimax lock that use a harder to pick type B key mechanism.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Check out this thread.

I use a Kryptonite Disc lock. I think that getting a reminder coil (a plaastic coil that streches between the lock and the throttle).

I covered my bike with a Dowco Guardian cover for two summers while I stored my bike outside. It has held up very well. I think that it is a medium.

Comment

Originally posted by jmanor010780
        I have a concrete pillar in my yard and would attach it there
        Just make sure the pillar is more than 10 feet high, or that it makes a complete circle, so the bike can't simply be lifted over the pillar to slide it and the lock off without opening them.

Originally posted by tzortn
        Check out this thread.
        +1

PS - I think there are a lot of brands that are better than Kryptonite on the market.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A guy I know used a basic disc lock on his bike, and then he ended up forgetting it was on there one day and pulled out Ending up bending the rotor something awful, had to have it replace and now uses a long red cord and attaches one end to the lock and wraps the other around his handle bar so he always remembers to remove the lock from then on.

Just a reminder to always make sure you double check and remove the lock before you take off.

Comment

I have a tarp with a cable lock through it and an alarm in the tarp , as well as keeping the steering head locked . I'd also think about MORE locks if you're really worried about it , like a disc lock and maybe chain it to the pillar on top of that . Take a pretty determined thief to get it then .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

disc lock

I use a trailer coupler lock made by Master Lock. You can buy one at Home Depot for about $7. They’re made out of stainless steel, light weight, high strength, and I can carry one in my pocket without feeling like I have a lead ball. It fits through the front disc brake and works like a standard moto disc lock. However, this is a deterrent for honest folk, if a thief really wants your moto they will take it no matter what you have on it. Or better yet, they’ll load it up on their pick-up-em truck with help of another dunce…
              Alex - 03 750Kat for street, 01 DRZ400e for dirty fun stuff. Stay safe and ride well…

Comment

Just got my Xena XR1 lock for the bike. I'm really lucky for the most part and feel safe. I for the most part do my best to not park the bike out of view for extended periods of time. To and from work I feel fairly safe, if I go out on Rides and such as that, I try to park near windows to keep in view. Still I wanted to get something in effort I'm not able to keep an eye on it. My thinking, is its a deterant more and hopefully, someone will move on and not mess with it. It's a fairly loud alarm and someone could still decide to just chunk it in the back of a truck or van and just deal with the damn thing blairing as they run for it. At that point, this person doesn't care what you have on the bike, he just wants it at all costs. I think its a big step up from the plain disc locks and I got the reminder cord as well, not that I should have a problem, better safe than sorry.
                Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                Katana

Comment

I just saw the Xena at a motorcycle store today. It looks pretty cool. It has an inbuilt alarm sensor thats 110 db loud. So if anyone messes with the bike, its gonna sound. So either way, if someone tries to mess with the lock or to pick it up, the alarm's gonna sound. It costs around $80 I think. I personally have a big a$$ chain that I tie around the bike wheel. I am getting kinda tired of the whole process. So I just might get the Xena in the near future.
                  2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Comment

I leave mine unlocked and out in the open 27/7, just hoping someone steals it.
                    either folks around here are just too damn honest, or no one wants it

I think I need to move to a shadier neighborhood.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mojoe wrote
                      I leave mine unlocked and out in the open 27/7, just hoping someone steals it.
                      I hear ya Mike, sometimes I wish my day had an extra 3 hours too
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I have a Xena disc alarm and it works very well. And if you happen to get on the bike and forget that it is on there, then the alarm will sound and you then can take it off before driving away. It's pretty cool looking too.......and noticable (bright yellow in color) It's a good investment. Remember too, you get what you pay for........

Comment

Working...
                        X