X

just got 88 1100. carb issues?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got 88 1100. carb issues?

hey guys just came up on a 88 1100 big kat! upgraded from a gs500f.. and let me tell you the difference is ridiculous. i have a few questions i am new here so struggle with me please:
    1. i have to keep the choke slightly engaged to maintain proper idle(tends to want to die out if i dont) any suggestions?
    2. is there a good place for parts besides ebay?
    3. it seems to want to stutter a little when im coasting in gear and not really hitting the throttle( accelerates hard when im in it though)
    thanks guys and ill post pics soon!
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

carbs need to be cleaned then synced
    never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
    Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
    confused katana build

Comment

just got 88 1100. carb issues?

hey guys just picked up a 88 1100 big kat! upgraded from a gs500f, and what a difference. if you would help me i have a few questions:
      1. i seem to have to keep the choke slightly engaged to keep the rpms at a normal range. any suggestions?
      2. is there a good place for parts to check out?
      3. when coasting in gear it seems to "gargle". it has a yoshi pipe so is this normal?
      thanks guys and ill post pics soon
      Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

+1 on the carbs. When you're taking them apart be very careful how you remove the float hinge pin. Some really experienced carb guys have managed to break off the ears that the pin goes through. When you do that you've pretty much trashed that carb body. 've never had a problem with that but there's always a first.

It's never a bad idea to install a Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit and an ignition advancer. I've got both on my bike and it runs really well with them.

...and welcome, by the way. There's a whole section devoted just to the 1100s. Definitely worth browsing through.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

thanks its what i suspected! thanks guys. so whats the deal with this rally?

Comment

Every year there's a Katriders rally at the Dragon. A chance for folks who get to know each other well over the internet to actually meet in person. This forum is a bit unusual in that it's very active and extremely friendly. Most of us actually seem to like each other.

Check the rally thread for details.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

IF when she is fully warmed up and you adjust the idle, does she idle with the choke off????

If not, then you may need to clean the cards. I had to for mine. Had her running pretty good for a couple of year after she sat for six or so, but once I dissassembled and dipped the carbs, then synched, she started to run really nice.

As for the gurgle, mine had it until i rejetted and shimmed the needles... now it is almost none existant....

Another thing to keep in mind, I have my adjustment screw for the air/fuel mix at 3.5 turns out... 2.5 out after the cleaning was still not quite good enough...

In your position, get her nice and hot, then see about the idle adjustment with the choke off... if you cannot get her to idle, then carbs is probably the issue...
              "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

very true. most forums are full of thrashers and know it alls who make new riders shy from their community.

Comment

thanks ill have my shop look at it asap. i have the yoshi pipe on it now but it looks old and "burnt"? any suggestions on cleaning/maintaining the system? are you aware of any systems for other bikes that fit our 1100?

Comment

I have the Vans and Hines 4 into 1...
                    "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Originally posted by mahemmjr View Post
                      thanks ill have my shop look at it asap. i have the yoshi pipe on it now but it looks old and "burnt"? any suggestions on cleaning/maintaining the system? are you aware of any systems for other bikes that fit our 1100?
                      Arsenic had a brand new Vance & Hines system up for sale not too long ago. I don't know if he still has it.

You might want to try taking some sandpaper to your exhaust and see if that cleans it up but if you decide to go with new, don't throw away the old system. Send me a PM instead. I really like Yoshi systems and if the price is right (and I'm employed at the time) we should be able to work something out.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                      X