Katana of the Month - July 2007 - FASHER

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > All About Brakes & Suspension

All About Brakes & Suspension Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
hikermikem
Chicken Strip

Default bleeding front brakes issues...

Just disassembled, cleaned & reassembled the front MC & both calipers on my '95 750F Kat. New pads & braided SS lines ones too...

I cannot get it properly bled, lever is super spongy & travels almost to the grip. I bought a mityvac brake line bleeder and have cycled through what seems to be a quart of fluid & still there is a steady stream of bubbles from each bleeder. checked for leaks but it's all dry & tight.

Is there something I'm missing here, or are these front brakes just hard to bleed? Is there a trick you guys use the help this along?

I've bled lots & lots of brakes on different bikes but this one is giving me fits!!

Bought the bike as a project and the front brakes were all gunked up with nasty fluid so never really had a good baseline as to what they should feel like.

All suggestions welcome...
hikermikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
Seft
Katrider

The fact the lever isn't travelling all the way to the grip suggests you're getting there, did you make sure there is no air trapped in the master cylinder before moving onto the calipers? I had air trapped when I last did mine, if I pulled the lever normally no bubbles came out, if I pulled it to the bar and let the spring flick it back hard I got air coming out, repeated this until no bubbles were in the cylinder then bled the callipers. No idea if I was doing something wrong either as I'd not had this happen bofore but it worked
Also check there are no highpoints in your new lines that air could be trapped in, check there's no leakage from the master cylinder dust seal or from the banjo bolts and be sure to have used new copper washers on all of them too.

Did you change the lines for a twin line setup direct from the master cylinder?
Seft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
shpielers
Kat Legend

When I put on new lines, I had to bleed forever too. It'll get there. SS lines are a nice improvement over stock. Maybe let it sit a day or two and let the air bubbles week there way up to the master cylinder, and crack the connection there open when squeezing the lever

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
hikermikem
Chicken Strip

Thanks for the responses... I'll double check all the connections again & yes, new copper crush washers all around...

I replicated the stock lines, made up three new SS ones & reused the splitter.
hikermikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:30 AM   #5
Seft
Katrider

As you've kept the join in place would be sure to bleed the left caliper first and have the bike on the side stand so the join too is at a least a bit of an angle so if there is trapped air it seep up to the cylinder. Other than that running out places air can be left...
Seft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #6
wizard5203
Skid Mark

This thread was a good find. Replaced right side lower brake hose, been pumping the crap out of that handle and used 3/4 a bottle of fluid. Still no resistance on handle. Turned the bars to the left and bubbles started popping up. Going to let it sit a day. Still getting little bubbles. Now I know the trick. Did not want to buy one of those vac systems.
Thank you.
2006 GSX 750F
wizard5203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > All About Brakes & Suspension