Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Gsx-r body and engine on 97 katana. Is it possibel?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
    That was uncalled for Md... What does your duct taped bodywork scream?!?!

MD's duck-taped body work screams - " I love to ride, the coolest friends I have are antlered or anterless and I have procrastination issues"

J/k MD

On another note, I've seen a few plastic swaps. Consider these things though

- Through the years, plastics get updated, it may all be ABS but there are different kinds, and you would need to use at least a portion of your old plastics with the new plastics, which "screams" bonding problems.

- Fab skill, Lots of skill needed to cut, weld, design, change the frame in order to fit the i-4 and plastics and tank.

- Putting a gsxr motor in a kat frame is like putting an F-1 car motor into a sherman tank. The newer gsxr's are light, hence, part of their "performance". Putting a more powerful motor into the kat, but due to the size and weight of the frame, and the geometry and grade of suspension, it would be fruitless without changing almost everything.

If you want to do something custom, check out a project by a user named : Kwebbel , also see ThazKats katbusa project, Mrreedohio's chrome project, and there is also a FrankenKat project floating around. There are quit a few more useful and easy mod's floating around then turning a kat into a obese gsxr.
    Currently Riding:
    1995 Katana 600
    V&H Exhaust
    Jet Kit

SOLD
    2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
    1987 XV700 Bobber
    REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      That was uncalled for Md... What does your duct taped bodywork scream?!?!

That I'm too cheap to pay for new plastics , and I don't want mine to fall off while riding ? Only reason I put that tape on there was to hold together a crack that was ALMOST all the way up the fairing .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by router99 View Post
        lol good point but insurance is way cheaper on KATS
        That's good because you'll need all the money you save to actually pay for those mods you want to do.

Figure the cost of the GSXR plastics and engine first. Now how much time and materials extra will it take to actually make them fit a Kat and make it look great? Unless your time is free and means nothing to you that's a factor to consider. Then as was previously stated how are you going to mod the suspension to match the engine? Again you're looking at more money and time. And how much money do you expect to save in insurance? A few hundred a year? How many years will it take to recoup the money you spend modding a Kat? In the end you'll still have a HEAVY *** bike that still won't match the performance of a GSXR but might be a bit faster than a regular Kat. Not worth the trouble IMHO. But if you like to tinker and mod have at it and show us your skillz.
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          I'd love to see some pictures.

i will try to get some up there 2morrow.....

or try searching for mutant kat, frankenkat, a user named nighthawk who has a kat with gsxr plastic... also there is a thread drastic change which shows a wonderful example of a fairing swap
          Last edited by kain101; 04-22-2009, 06:10 PM.
          92 GSXF750
          83 nighthawk

Comment

well all in all truths you can make anything go onto anything just depends on how much time, and skills you have, and some time how much money you have..... thats the point of making a custom bike.

but if your wondering if it would be direct bolt up then no it wouldn't work
            Last edited by Robby1988; 06-29-2009, 05:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Anything is possible with custom brackets and mounting points But I dont think the openings will line up like you want it will look frankenstienish.
              Give it a shot but i think your in for more fiberglass work then its worth.

There is a world of evolution fron 97 to 2002 try using a similar year gsxr for better results.
              99 Katana GSX600F -03 Bandtana GSX1200F- 06 Charger Daytona R/T

The Tallest KAT Rider.. Out there! PERIOD.

Comment

The FASTEST, CHEAPEST, EASIEST way to put a GSX-R body and engine on a Kat (Heck, it's so easy, you might as well go with the GSX-R front and rear suspension, swing arm, bars, gauges, chain, etc. etc, etc...)

PARTS NEEDED:
                (1) GSX-R, any year;
                (1) Katana, any year, any condition, with clear title;

TOOLS NEEDED:
                Grinder,
                Grinder wheels, various grit,
                Alphabetic and numeric stamp set;
                Hammer.

PROCEDURE:
                1. Grind off the VIN of the GSX-R, located on or near the steering tube.
                2. Using the Katana as a source, stamp the same VIN of the Kat in place of the GSX-R VIN. (recommeded you do this in your garage, with the door closed.) Make sure the numbers and letters are lined up very neat, so it looks like a factory stamping.
                3. Cut the Katana frame up into little pieces.
                4.Melt the steering tube down into an ingot.
                5. Sell all the pieces to a scrap metal dealer.

There you go! GSCR performance, Katana insurance rates.

Oh, and don't forget to write. We will know it's you buy the return address...

Router66
                State Penn...
                "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                  The FASTEST, CHEAPEST, EASIEST way to put a GSX-R body and engine on a Kat (Heck, it's so easy, you might as well go with the GSX-R front and rear suspension, swing arm, bars, gauges, chain, etc. etc, etc...)

PARTS NEEDED:
                  (1) GSX-R, any year;
                  (1) Katana, any year, any condition, with clear title;

TOOLS NEEDED:
                  Grinder,
                  Grinder wheels, various grit,
                  Alphabetic and numeric stamp set;
                  Hammer.

PROCEDURE:
                  1. Grind off the VIN of the GSX-R, located on or near the steering tube.
                  2. Using the Katana as a source, stamp the same VIN of the Kat in place of the GSX-R VIN. (recommeded you do this in your garage, with the door closed.) Make sure the numbers and letters are lined up very neat, so it looks like a factory stamping.
                  3. Cut the Katana frame up into little pieces.
                  4.Melt the steering tube down into an ingot.
                  5. Sell all the pieces to a scrap metal dealer.

There you go! GSCR performance, Katana insurance rates.

Oh, and don't forget to write. We will know it's you buy the return address...

Router66
                  State Penn...
                  Joker
                  The newest addition to the Family!
                  sigpic
                  stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I don't understand what the big deal is...isn't everyone doing swaps like this

Comment

All Kats were created perfect. ......some people want to simply improve on perfection......kinda like a boob-job. Just my thoughts.
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I've seen more nasty boobs than I have seen nasty Kats though.

Comment

Originally posted by KatDawg View Post
                          I've seen more nasty boobs than I have seen nasty Kats though.
                          Exactly!
                          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                          ------------------------------------------
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

how much is that gsx-r 600

Comment

It's like they don't teach English in school anymore.....
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Hmmmmm..........

This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.

Comment

Working...
                                X