X

Tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires

Hey guys, so ive put about 8k on my bike since ive got it. im now thinking my front tire is done and its time to be replaced.

currently i have some bridgestone battlex tires on the front and rear.

i obviously want to change to what seems to be almost unanimous and get the metzler M6 tires.

my question is however can i just change the front tire? should i change both at the same time?

thanks guys

You can do whatever you want. Might be able to find a slightly better price if you buy a set though and your tires will both be the same then. Also, I think you meant Metzeler z6's, not m6?

Comment

Typically, front and back motorcycle tires from a given manufacture and style are matched. Mixing styles and manufacturers isn't recommended.

Even mixing old and new tires from the same brand/style can mess your cornering up, if the old tire is sufficiently worn.

Short answer: I'd change 'em both.

--B

Comment

yeah your right about model #

yeah i just wanted to confirm that it was safe to do thats all.

fair enough, thats kinda what i was thinking.

its really weird i know both the tires were changed at the same time, the front seems like its on its last legs, but the rear seems like itll go for another 4-6k
        Last edited by grebstev; 04-08-2009, 10:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

With tires such as the Z6 and the pirelli stradas you def. want to be running matching tires because the groove in the front brakes the water for the rear tire, since the rear doesnt have grooves through its center.

Comment

My advice is to buy both front and rear, and then sell your used rear on eBay... you'd be surprised at how well a half-used tire sells (and how much it will generate), especially at this time of year.

Originally posted by grebstev View Post
            its really weird i know both the tires were changed at the same time, the front seems like its on its last legs, but the rear seems like itll go for another 4-6k
            That's because the front was run too low on air-pressure for whatever your riding circumstances were [total load weight, etc.], so it was running significantly hotter than the rear... and because tires' chemistry is heat-bonded, as it runs hot, the outer layers unbond faster

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just got my bike and it has about 6000 on it with i believe either factory tires or once replaced, either way they needed to be changed so i went with the Metzler roadtech z6, heard nothing but good things about them, but i am also new to bikes so i will have to build my on opinion.

Comment

I've just clocked over 16,500kms on my Z6's so yeah, they're a good tyre.

Comment

Originally posted by Robgsxf750 View Post
                  I've just clocked over 16,500kms on my Z6's so yeah, they're a good tyre.
                  That means they're a long lasting tire... the question is how do you like the handling on them (like I even have to ask )?

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

They were the first set of tyres I put on after the OEM tyres (which only lasted 7,500kms by comparison). Compared with the stock tyres the Z6's were really confidence inspiring.

I commute over 700kms per week and my commute is 75% highway 25% mountain twisties and had 1 track day last month, so I needed something long wearing that could also give me the fun I needed.

The Z6's have proven that they're the tyre for me. I'm actually reluctant to try another. I have estimated about a month of wear left (so I'm going to get almost 20,000kms use) and then another set of Z6's with your billet valves are going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Robgsxf750 View Post
                      The Z6's have proven that they're the tyre for me. I'm actually reluctant to try another.
                      If you do try something else, just don't fall into the new-vs-used trap: people have a tire they think is great, then when it's at the end of it's life, they switch to a brand new alternative and think it's the most wonderful tire in the world, failing to realize they are comparing the old (now well-used) tire still fresh in their mind to the brand new one, instead of new-vs-new

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thank you guys soo much for all your help and support. this is why KR is the place to be.

the next question i have is that im sold on the Z6, however i am more interested in performance vs lenth of service. should there be something else i should look at?

Comment

Originally posted by grebstev View Post
                          The next question i have is that im sold on the Z6, however i am more interested in performance vs lenth of service. should there be something else i should look at?
                          Define performance:
                          Wet-weather grip, braking distance, knee-down turning, shoulder-down turning, etc?

In general, if you have a stock Kat 600 or 750 (i.e. - not bored out nor slipped a 1100 or 1200 motor in, no turbo nor supercharger), the Z6's at the right pressures for you will exceed the bike's ability to use them, UNLESS you are an absolute hot-dog who does nothing but canyon carve with your shoulder a few inches off the ground -- in which case, you've got the wrong bike and if you're going to stick to the Kat anyway, put a set of Diablos (not stradas) or Metzeler M-series on there.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

fair enough and well said.

thank you for your help, im going to stick to your suggestions.

i am going to go with the Metzeler Z6,

thanks guys
                            Last edited by grebstev; 04-20-2009, 09:27 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=The CyberPoet;1690200]Define performance:
                              Wet-weather grip, braking distance, knee-down turning, shoulder-down turning, etc?

In general, if you have a stock Kat 600 or 750 (i.e. - not bored out nor slipped a 1100 or 1200 motor in, no turbo nor supercharger), the Z6's at the right pressures for you will exceed the bike's ability to use them, UNLESS you are an absolute hot-dog who does nothing but canyon carve with your shoulder a few inches off the ground -- in which case, you've got the wrong bike and if you're going to stick to the Kat anyway, put a set of Diablos (not stradas) or Metzeler M-series on there.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

i define performance on straight line acceleration, (i know the 600 kat with just about any tire will be fine with this), Braking , and knee down turning. i almost never drive my bike in the rain and i have 0 concern with wet weather performance.

i want a tire that will inspire a huge amount of confidence and make me feel comfortable on higher speed corners.

i would not consider myself a "hotdog" lol but i definatly enjoy the twisties and enjoying the bikes abilities. And Cp you are also right i do probably have the wrong bike for the kind of riding i do, and enjoy doing but for this year it will have to do. i plan on purchasing a new bike over the winter. i love my kat but the second i was on my buddies gsxr750 i realized that it is more inline with what i want.

i have 2 questions with this info in mind, and i know im kinda beating a dead horse here but i want to make sure i make the right tire choice and i have been unable to find specific and what and creditable information using search.

question 1.
                              Tire sizing.
                              stock
                              120/70/17 F
                              150/70/17 R

would it make a + difference if i put 160/65/17 on the rear? (i believe i only have this choice when you go to the M series tire as well)

would the Z series still fit into the kind of driving i do on a reg basis, or would with the kind of driving be a better fit for the M series.

And again thank you all for your help. i just really want to make sure i make the right decision, and do not regret my tire purchase.

--- after this i promise no more tire questions. lol

__

Comment

Working...
                              X