X

Making Fiberglass Parts- Questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Fiberglass Parts- Questions

The part in question is actually a hard top for a Miata. A guy near here has the molds for sale, he says the weatherstripping and latches, etc, can be had at a home improvement store, and the rear glass can be made from lexan. Well, maybe.

I've done FG repair, but never made any parts. How difficult is it, really? Any pitfalls? In your opinion, if I have to pay around $500 for the molds, do you think this will be a money maker, or money loser, or simply a time-hog? Any general advise about this process?

thanks.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

do you think if he is selling them he is making much money off them ?

I have never seen anything a Homodepot that I would concider automotive grade seals or mounting hardware

shipping would be stupid

sorry to rain on your idea, but you could prove me wrong
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

How many calls are there for Miata hard tops??? Maybe in about 20 years when someone is restoring one. Now if you were talking classic cars from the 60's or 70's, yeah, you have a possible chance if you dedicated your time to making them. This would be just like making solo cowls for Kats. A waste of time because everyone wants one until they have to pay for it. That is most likely why no one makes cowls. Sorry.
      Last edited by Kfreak; 10-11-2009, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Molding fiberglass stuff is fun! Really, it's not bad, but the quality of the mold makes a HUGE difference. The other advice here is probably correct, though. I don't think the demand is there to make it really profitable.

And yeah, you really have to consider how much you trust this guy, if he says that latches and seals for a hardtop can come from home depot!
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Okay, a few facts to help you address this (not presented to be argumentative and/or convince everyone I am right/they are wrong, just to help present a more complete picture):

There is a considerable market for Miata tops:
          I usually see two or three post in the Atlanta Craiglist where someone is looking for one;
          1st and 2nd gen's take the same hardtop, with minor changes in mounting hardware, it is possible 3rd gen's might take the same top, too.
          SCCA requires convertibles to be raced with the top up in most classes; most racers prefer to use a hard top rather than the soft top (I am guessing for improved aerodynamics);

The commercially available ones sell for from $1800 to $2600, plus shipping.

Shipping would cost from $200 to $600, but the existant makers are charging that for shipping, in addition to the cost of the tops.

Miatas have been around since 1989, with over 373,000 sold in the US (735,000 sold worldwide.) I can't seem to find Katana production numbers, but I dare say that;
          1. More Miatas have been built, and
          2. More Miata owners want hardtops than Katana owners want seat cowls.

I am NOT committed to doing this; in fact, I am quite wary of the whole thing, knowing it will be major work to make, market, sell and ship the things. Loudnlow's advise rings true- molds no doubt make a huge difference, and yeah, I wonder about the effacy of HomeDepot as a parts source.

Keep 'em coming...
          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
            SCCA requires convertibles to be raced with the top up in most classes; most racers prefer to use a hard top rather than the soft top (I am guessing for improved aerodynamics);
            Have you ever seen a convertible with the top up, and the top looked like it was ballooning outward? Driving at high speeds tends to stretch out the convertible tops over time significantly reducing the life of the top, and I doubt they're cheap to replace. So, probably improved aerodynamics and definitely to prolong the life of the rag top.
            Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
              Okay, a few facts to help you address this (not presented to be argumentative and/or convince everyone I am right/they are wrong, just to help present a more complete picture):

There is a considerable market for Miata tops:
              I usually see two or three post in the Atlanta Craiglist where someone is looking for one;
              1st and 2nd gen's take the same hardtop, with minor changes in mounting hardware, it is possible 3rd gen's might take the same top, too.

The commercially available ones sell for from $1800 to $2600, plus shipping.

Shipping would cost from $200 to $600, but the existant makers are charging that for shipping, in addition to the cost of the tops.

Miatas have been around since 1989, with over 373,000 sold in the US (735,000 sold worldwide.) I can't seem to find Katana production numbers, but I dare say that;
              1. More Miatas have been built, and
              2. More Miata owners want hardtops than Katana owners want seat cowls.

I am NOT committed to doing this; in fact, I am quite wary of the whole thing, knowing it will be major work to make, market, sell and ship the things. Loudnlow's advise rings true- molds no doubt make a huge difference, and yeah, I wonder about the effacy of HomeDepot as a parts source.

Keep 'em coming...
              I'd look into seeing what it takes to use those molds and make carbon fiber hard tops instead (although I know you need a huge-azz autoclave for that). Just seems to me that there would be more of a demand for CF, even if you had to rent time on some autoclave somewhere. Also, if you go that route, you could build other stuff in CF, like tank protectors, solo cowls, and fairings
              -
              -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Londob5 View Post
                I'd look into seeing what it takes to use those molds and make carbon fiber hard tops instead (although I know you need a huge-azz autoclave for that). Just seems to me that there would be more of a demand for CF, even if you had to rent time on some autoclave somewhere. Also, if you go that route, you could build other stuff in CF, like tank protectors, solo cowls, and fairings
                I've seriously considered building a tank protector out of carbon fiber. I think it would look cool with my bike. Of course it would tend to scratch my clear coat so I'd probably lay put a light coat of silicone on the underside of the CF. Any thoughts on that?
                Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Only other issues I could see come into play are legalities in the event of a roll-over - you'd best check to see if there is some sort of safety standard (DOT, etc) that must be met regarding the strength of the top. Only other issue would be the use of Lexan as a window - I know in NJ it is illegal to use it for a registered and street driven vehicle (it was explained to me in the event of an accident, the rescuers won't be able to easily break that window to extricate the occupants). If the cost and expenditure are reasonable, and the demand is there, then by all means give it a go!
                  2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                  2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

The bigger question... do YOU have the time, resources, and space to devote to making lots of pieces in short order?

If your going to do it one or 2 at a time every so often, it won't be worth it in the long run. I'm betting that is the reason the other guy is selling them. The time needed to make just one at a time (even with the mold) isn't as efficient or going to be a huge payout for you. Purchase of materials in small qty is cost prohibitive as well.

Also, most people are wanting immediate gratification, and few opt for the "built to order" options if there is any time delay associated with that. Having stock on hand is generally what will help to increase your sales.

If you have alot of free time, and don't care if you make much per hour... then the one offs on occasion fits you it would seem.

If you really want this to be a money maker... well, your going to have to put time and investment into it.

Just my 2 pennies....

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                    X