Accidental seat upgrade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidental seat upgrade

Short version:

So I decided to recover my seat....and promptly ruined the foam . I wound up cutting it to fit my body a little better and found some cool memory foam at Walmart. I now have a silver seat, that is slightly more ergonomic and has 3/8 in memory foam. I'll post pics when I find my camera and I'm done clear coating.

Longer version:
    So I decided to recover my seat....and promptly ruined the foam . Apparently when you spray on 3m adhesive it sticks very quickly and will pull the foam apart if you try to move something. Lesson learned.

TIP: If you need to pull apart two items that have been put together with 3m adhesive use a hairdryer. I figured this out a bit too late. It's also worth noting that if you leave the old cover on the seat you'll be able to make as many adjustments as you like without ruining the foam.

Anyway with gaping holes in the foam 1/4 inch deep I did something I've thought about doing for some time. I cut the seat to allow a little more from for *ahem* man parts. Why would you bother using a seat that doesn't allow a little room there? That's the equivalent of wearing womens underwear. I recovered the seat and it looked HORRIBLE. Not straight at all, every little bit of texture showed up. So I went to Walmart and got a bed cushion, that is half memory foam and half regular yellow foam rubber. Hit it with the hair dryer and pulled the two apart. I now have a seat that looks stock, silver/gray and it has 3/8 inch of memory foam, and it shaped a little better for my body. I'll post pics when I find my camera and I'm done clear coating.

P.S. I will probably have a lot of extra 4 way stretch fabric: http://autoupholsterysupply.com/alls...rmetallic.html I'll post more when I have my required 50 posts.
    Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

I will take your word on the wearing womans underwear
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Look at that! A newbie that actually has good information. Doesnt happen very often. Then again, is not just the newbies with that issue.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I used a 2 inch memory foam for mine and it is too much, I think 3/8 would be about right for over the gel pad.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I used genuine goose down. It keeps the boys warm when I mount up the knobbies and ride in the snow.

Actually I made that up, my seat is stock.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Good info - I need to recover my Corbin because it doesn't match my bike. Also, nice bike you got there.

Comment

memory foam = win

Originally posted by jday240 View Post
              ...Also, nice bike you got there.
              Lol, that's the photoshop image I created as a template for my bike. I'm glad you like what it will be. Actually the paint and seat look better than that pic. The graphics will too, but they're not there yet.

FYI I rode it for the first time since re-covering it. It's so amazing now. When you recover your seat consider adding the memory foam if its not already there.

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
              I will take your word on the wearing womans underwear
              Funny story, I did that once on accident. They were the same shade as mine and I pulled them out of the dryer, pulled them up and squeaked like mouse when I felt the pain. I promptly washed them and gave them to my girlfriend who gave me a dirty look and told me they weren't hers.
              Last edited by BigFish; 09-20-2009, 03:45 AM. Reason: delta quote order
              Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Originally posted by jtdybr View Post

Funny story, I did that once on accident. They were the same shade as mine and I pulled them out of the dryer, pulled them up and squeaked like mouse when I felt the pain. I promptly washed them and gave them to my girlfriend who gave me a dirty look and told me they weren't hers.
                Accident.... sure... if you say so.
                Originally posted by arsenic
                93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by jtdybr View Post
                  I promptly washed them and gave them to my girlfriend who gave me a dirty look and told me they weren't hers.

LMFAO

good info on the seat

Comment

Working...
                  X