X

Tire Size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Size

First, let me apologize - I know these questions are asked regularly. However, two hours of reading and I'm still having trouble finding a definitive answer.

I have a 95 Kat 600 that I just bought last fall. Currently it has Dunlop Arrowmax tires, and runs a 140/80 17 on the rear. I think this is the stock size. I have no idea how old these tires are, but Im going to replace them (complete set).

Heres the question: What sizes will fit my rear rim? I have heard 150/70 17, and 160/60 17, though I am unsure if this latter size is restricted to the Post 98 kats. The 150/70 17 seems to be tough to find. I know the front size is 120/70 17.

Also, where do you buy your tires, and does anyone have an opinion on Shinko brand tires? I've read good reviews of the Shinko 005 Advance, and the price is certainly agreeable.

Thanks,
    Jay

150/70 is the biggest you want to go on the rear for a pre and the 120/70 is correct for the front. i have never used the shinko's, word on the street is they're pretty good but you won't get as many miles out of them. a lot of people here like the metzeler z6, or pirelli diablo and the conti roadattacks.

Comment

I just put the conti road attacks on my 06 600 kat last friday and I LOVE THEM! (so far)

There are a couple guys around here that sell tires too.....(sorry not good with names... )

Comment

150/70 is not hard to find. Maybe in stock at a dealer, but it's readily available from several major tire manufacturers.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Just put Metzeler Roadtec Z6's on this week and broke them in, GREAT so far! Haven't tried them in rain yet, but good feedback, and feel good and sticky. Also, interesting fact - Metzeler is the only tire company that makes only motorcycle tires and not everything else, something my dealer told me and I hope is true.

J

Comment

Steves,
            there should be a sticky that covers this stuff here. I know I did a similar search recently and spent hours pouring through posts and threads to find some pretty basic info - there's a lot of misinformation posted by well meaning people so depending upon what you search for you could spent a lot of time spinning your wheels.

A simple sticky that covers:
            Pre stock, allowable sizes on stock rim
            Post stock, allowable sizes on stock rim
            Usual suspects in terms of resellers and brands most people go with

I know the last point is one that can be debated forever but as a short sticky at least it would give people a jumping off point and can search from there.

Just my $0.02 worth (which really is only about $0.0175 US)

Comment

Make a wiki entry
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks for the info, all. I'll see what I find.

Comment

I am running shinko raven 009's on my gs i know its not a kat but it has a post kat rear wheel on it...lol...i love them there stick like glue and ride nice. im running 160/60-17 rear and 120/60-17 front

Comment

Working...
                  X