X

750 swap to 650 engine.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 swap to 650 engine.

okay so here is my question...I have a very well running kat 750 1990 with insurance in the 1800 dollar (Canadian) range. With a 650 of the same year it comes to 850 dollars. I would like to know if it is worth it to swap out the 750 for a 650 engine, has anyone done this.

The 650 is water cooled, not a direct swap at all. The 600 would be a direct swap, you'll need the carbs for a 600. Here It wouldn't matter as they go by the vin number for engine size.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-25-2014, 10:44 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Pretty sure he meant 600, at least there isn't a 650 made in 1990 that I'm aware of.
      Like junker said, a 600 is a pretty direct swap. $1800 - that is an insane amount. I know Canadian insurance is expensive, but wow. Are you a new young rider, or is it really just that that expensive?

This thread has a lot of info about engine swaps. Most of it is directed towards dropping in a larger engine, but there's still a lot of useful info in there for you.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

As far as is it worth it...well, depends. The amount you save on insurance (I'm assuming the amounts you mentioned were per year) will pay for the engine/carbs/miscallaneous parts in a year and a half or less. You should be able to get an engine for ~$800 delivered to your door. Carbs you can buy from a member here (Arsenic) for ~$400 (they will be 100% good to go, fully rebuilt and cleaned) or buy your own for ~$100+ and then have to spend at least another $100 to get rebuild kits and other things you'll need. If you've never done carb work, just get them from Arsenic.
      So swapping will pay for itself quickly. If saving $ is your priority, then yes it's worth it.
      If fun factor is your priority, depends on your riding style. If you're all about speed, then no it's not worth it. Nor is owning a Katana for that matter... If you're about cruising comfortably for hours, soaking up the scenery, and occasionally hitting the twisties hard, you probably won't miss it a hell of a lot. Personally I love my 600. Has enough power for every day riding, and more than enough to get me in trouble. It's a little lacking for 2up riding, but it's all I reallly need. Having said that, when the engine dies, I'm dropping something bigger in it. (want vs need. Always different stories )
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

In the USA, all insurance goes by the VIN number. That's why you put an 1127 in a 600 frame. You pay insurance on a 600. So unless the Canadian insurance regulations are different, you'll be paying insurance on a 750 with the power of a 600. Not a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          In the USA, all insurance goes by the VIN number. That's why you put an 1127 in a 600 frame. You pay insurance on a 600. So unless the Canadian insurance regulations are different, you'll be paying insurance on a 750 with the power of a 600. Not a good thing.
          Up here in Canukia the insurance also is by V.I.N. but if you put a 1127 into a 600 frame and do not let your insurance company know, and you do get into an accident, your insurance will be void if an inspection of the vehicle is performed. Any mod as such must be reported and usually pitures must be submitted as well.
          2002 750 Kat
          2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
          1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
          2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
            Up here in Canukia the insurance also is by V.I.N. but if you put a 1127 into a 600 frame and do not let your insurance company know, and you do get into an accident, your insurance will be void if an inspection of the vehicle is performed. Any mod as such must be reported and usually pitures must be submitted as well.
            If an inspection is preformed, unless they are specifically looking for that, it's not obvious. If the inspection is performed by a certified technician, they just want to be done with it. Most insurance adjusters couldn't find their own ass with two hands in the dark. It's a risk for sure, and it could go badly. There's a 95% chance it won't.

Comment

If you haven't yet, you should check out INTACT insurance, they are one of the few that covers bike's here in Ontario. I switched to them and saved quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                If an inspection is preformed, unless they are specifically looking for that, it's not obvious. If the inspection is performed by a certified technician, they just want to be done with it. Most insurance adjusters couldn't find their own ass with two hands in the dark. It's a risk for sure, and it could go badly. There's a 95% chance it won't.
                Insurance in Ontario(not sure about the other provinces) are on the so called "alert" due to a fairly new "Anti Racing Law"(50+km over posted speed limit). Any vehicle in an accident due to speed or suspected of speed also that is caught speeding can be impounded and checked(not by the adjusters but by a third party)

Moving people and goods safely, efficiently and sustainably across Ontario to improve quality of life and support a globally competitive economy.

loneraider; I am insured with Intact. They were the cheapest that I found.
                2002 750 Kat
                2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                X