X

DIY bike trailer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY bike trailer

Surprisingly, I don't think this question has been asked before. Has anyone ever heard of or have details of a DIY bike trailer (either 1 or 2 bike capacity). I've looked all over trying to find AutoCAD drawings (as I can modify them easier) with no luck. There doesn’t appear to be any free downloadable drawings in any format on the net, unless I’m looking in the wrong place.

Originally posted by Topper5791 View Post
    Surprisingly, I don't think this question has been asked before. Has anyone ever heard of or have details of a DIY bike trailer (either 1 or 2 bike capacity). I've looked all over trying to find AutoCAD drawings (as I can modify them easier) with no luck. There doesn’t appear to be any free downloadable drawings in any format on the net, unless I’m looking in the wrong place.
    If you've got the AutoCAD ability, create your own plans. I know of kids in high school who made trailers for ATVs. My shop class had at least three made in one semester. There really isn't that much to it.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

I agree!!
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
        If you've got the AutoCAD ability, create your own plans. I know of kids in high school who made trailers for ATVs. My shop class had at least three made in one semester. There really isn't that much to it.
        I was going to design a trailer specific for my bike(98' 750 Kat), but I wanted to see if there were any details for a generic trailer out there to give me a starting point. I was hoping to build a trailer that my friends could use for their bikes (from a 00' CBR600 to a 06'Harley, etc.), and that I could put on Katriders for anyone to use.
        Last edited by Topper5791; 07-02-2009, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Here's a good reference site. http://www.championtrailers.com/UTIL...AILER_KITS.HTM

I'd recommend getting an old pop up camper for free from some one, tearing it down to the frame, and building it to suit you. This way you have the title, frame, axle, and tires to start with. Then you can build it to your own needs. I've done this twice now. First time I bought all the materials, and I ended up having around $450 into it for a 5' x 10' trailer. This last one I built, I'm out $46. I did some dumpster diving at the local machine shop for scrap steel, but I saved myself $400! i'll post pics tomorrow.

Comment

For the cost of materials, just go get something cheap from harbor freight and then modify it for your needs.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Sorry steves, not sure what 'harbor freight' is, I live in the uk bud. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks jcv400ex, lots of good info there.

Comment

if you look online you can find one on craigslist.com, people have homemade ones they sell for like 300 bucks. why do you need to build one for you bike?

Comment

Sorry steves, not sure what 'harbor freight' is, I live in the uk bud. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks jcv400ex, lots of good info there.
                  Well that explains it then.

It's a place where you can get a small 4x8 folding trailer quite cheaply.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

I'm not sure what resources you would have in the UK, or what the requirements are for building/registering trailers.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by ferrucci86 View Post
                    if you look online you can find one on craigslist.com, people have homemade ones they sell for like 300 bucks. why do you need to build one for you bike?
                    I know it would probably be cheaper to buy one off fleabay but, I'd like to build one as a bit of a hobby and you never know I might end up making some money out of it.

Comment

I know it would probably be cheaper to buy one off fleabay but, I'd like to build one as a bit of a hobby and you never know I might end up making some money out of it.
                      I looked in to doing this a ew years ago and bought blueprints online. With the cost of steel at the time in the USSA, it was cheaper to go buy a premade trailer.
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                        Well that explains it then.

It's a place where you can get a small 4x8 folding trailer quite cheaply.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

I'm not sure what resources you would have in the UK, or what the requirements are for building/registering trailers.
                        That's my exact trailer!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Now does the 236lbs of the trailer count against the 950 lb capacity?

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                            That's my exact trailer!

With those small wheels and tires...how does it pull on the highway? I was thinking of changing out the tires and wheels to something bigger that is more suited to highway speeds.

Comment

I have a trailer about the same size as that with small tires and it tows pretty straight usually. if the load is too top heavy though it does sometimes get tippy if you're going too fast in tight corners, and takes a few seconds to ettle down after big bumps like cattle guards. I hauled my 600lb snowmobile on mine 2400 miles round trip few years ago when I went to a family reunion in UT, and didn't have any problems rolling down the highway at 75mph or so.
                              John,
                              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X