X

How to use the center stand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use the center stand

My Kat is the first that's had a built in center stand. How do I use / deploy it without dropping the bike? I've tried a couple maneuvers but don't feel that comfortable. The bike's pretty dang heavy to get up on it.

The dealer about tipped it over trying to show me and he didn't know how to do it either!
    MikeG
    Central Oregon
    2006 Suzuki GSX600F
    (That's a Katana for non-insurance-agent people!)

Hi Mike,

I am not sure how to put a link on here but if you go to the forum "Riding Tips" it is the second sticky down. It is quite simple.

Steve

Comment

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Did you just copy and paste the link?

Comment

yep
          -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Try this, it works for me (I’m 5’5” and weight 155lbs.)

- place your left hand on left hand grip
            - turn the handle bar all the way to the left
            - place your left foot on the center stand
            - place your right hand on the passenger peg

Now with one complete motion (all at once), push down on the peg with your left leg, pull the left handle bars back (keeping them turned left) and pull up and back with your right hand and walla, it goes up on the stand. It takes a little practice but it works. Also, for the first few tries have someone stand on the other side of the moto just as a safety measure until you feel comfortable. The key for me was keeping the handle bars all the way to left as I pushed and pulled.
            Alex - 03 750Kat for street, 01 DRZ400e for dirty fun stuff. Stay safe and ride well…

Comment

The trick is to imagine yourself pushing the stand down into the ground with your foot. Once you do that, in combination with your right hand lifting up on the grab bar, you'll be a pro.

Not sure about turning the handlebars to the left; I leave mine centered.

I'm 6' and 225 lbs. (no comments CP!).

Comment

[quote="Not sure about turning the handlebars to the left; I leave mine centered.

I'm 6' and 225 lbs. (no comments CP!). [/quote]

Remember, us little fellars don't have the arm spread, thus turning the bars left helps the leverage to muscle the moto up on the stand.
                Alex - 03 750Kat for street, 01 DRZ400e for dirty fun stuff. Stay safe and ride well…

Comment

What leverage? The left hand does nothing. It's all lift with the right. And don't use the grab bar. Use the luggage bar under the tail, or the frame if the bar is removed.
                  -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
                    What leverage? The left hand does nothing. It's all lift with the right. And don't use the grab bar. Use the luggage bar under the tail, or the frame if the bar is removed.

Comment

I find it to be about 80% with my foot and 20% with my right. If my right required any more force than that, then I would agree to not use the grab bar. I'm not subjecting enough force to the grab bar to cause any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaKat
                        I find it to be about 80% with my foot and 20% with my right. If the my right required any more force than that, then I would agree to not use the grab bar. I'm not subjecting enough force to the grab bar to cause any issues.
                        I like using the passenger peg to lift the rear end.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                          Originally posted by FloridaKat
                          I find it to be about 80% with my foot and 20% with my right. If the my right required any more force than that, then I would agree to not use the grab bar. I'm not subjecting enough force to the grab bar to cause any issues.
                          I like using the passenger peg to lift the rear end.
                          You'll get better leverage using either the peg or the luggage bar. Lifting up at either of those points is a lot easier than the grab rail. I just tried all three a few minutes ago and the grab rail was the hardest. But that's me. It may truly be different for someone else...
                          -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Pulling the bars left works for me. To each his/her own, whatever works...

Comment

This thread is what helped me. After all the other posts I read I could still not do it. 30 seconds after watching this I'd put it on the centerstand twice! Thanks again StonerJ! You too Range!

-Stephen

the future's uncertain, and the end is always near - The Doors

Comment

Working...
                              X