Looking at a 1988 Suzuki Katana 600 GSX

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a 1988 Suzuki Katana 600 GSX

Hey all,

With rising gas prices, and just the fun, I am looking to get a motorcycle. But I don't have a lot to spend. My Jeep is lucky to get 10 MPG with all the performance upgrades that have been done to it. So I figured a motorcycle for the nice days would be, well, nice.

I am looking at someone selling a 1988 Suzuki Katana 600 GSX, the pic I saw looked like it was in pretty darn good condition. The problem is it does not have second gear. Other than that, it runs fine.

They are only asking $800. I was wondering what I would be looking at to fix such an issue. Any suspected problems that might cause this or typical fixes and what it is going to run me in parts to fix such an issue. And if this would be a good deal or not.

Many thanks to anyone who respond in advance!
    1996 Saturn SL2 *CUSTOM*
    1998 Jeep GC LIMITED 5.9 *BUILT*
    1988 Suzuki Katana 600 GSX *LOOKING AT*

Welcome to the forum!

I've got an '88 and have had zero problems with it.

Can't help you with the tranny problem. Can't picture it being an easy thing to fix.

Comment

Tranny problem = walk away.

To fix the tranny problem is $250 in parts and 25 to 50 hours of labor (25 hours for a typical shop with skilled mechanics and all the tools they need on hand; 50 for the typical home mechanic). Depending on where you are, you might want to consider contacting arsenic (arsenic1016 at comcast.net) and see if he'll fix it for $600... he's disabled following an MC accident, but does this kind of work cheap as long as you are patient.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

And sorry, it is a 1989.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
        Tranny problem = walk away.

To fix the tranny problem is $250 in parts and 25 to 50 hours of labor (25 hours for a typical shop with skilled mechanics and all the tools they need on hand; 50 for the typical home mechanic). Depending on where you are, you might want to consider contacting arsenic (arsenic1016 at comcast.net) and see if he'll fix it for $600... he's disabled following an MC accident, but does this kind of work cheap as long as you are patient.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Well, I got a skilled mechanic. And it probably would take him somewhere inbetween the 25-50, because he doe snot have a lot of experience with motorcycles, but I doubt that would slow him down.

What if the offer was $600? Here is a pic if I can post one...

Last edited by DefStatic; 05-14-2008, 08:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        1996 Saturn SL2 *CUSTOM*

Comment

The price of the bike doesn't change my opinion -- you're looking at an almost 20 year old bike that needs a full tear-down (to get at the tranny) and massive hours to correct a basic problem. The equation doesn't make any sense to me unless you get labor for free.

Most riders who get the dreaded 2nd gear issue choose to swap engines (tranny is integrated into the bottom of the engine) rather than disassemble & repair. Figure a replacement engine+tranny in good shape is another $600 - $800, so that puts you at $1200 - $1400 plus engine-swap labor. Is that the price you want to pay?

One a side-note: that bike looks to be very well maintained aside from the tranny issue. You could buy it for $600 and easily sell everything off it for $1500, then take the $1500 and buy something that doesn't have the issues (bootstrapping yourself into a better bike).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, +1 on not worth it. I had to do the 2nd gear thing on my '92, but it wasn't real old when I did it, so that made it worth it to me to do it. I had a skilled mechanic do the work for me a few hours a day, for the better part of 2 weeks, so I could get a discount price for the labor. I wanna say it was approx 6-700 dollars when it was all said and done. Looking back, I never want to do that again.
            2005 Katana 600

Comment

my 94 kat came with 2nd missing and i rode it for a week before the whole tranny went out so i did an engine swap and found an engine for about $160 and the guy delievered it for free. good luck
              Chrome Project Part 1
              http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

you could find a 600 engine with a good tranny for much less than 600-800. I see them for sale usually in the 150-300 range.

The rest of the bike looks good. I would pay around 400 for it.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I bought a 91 Kat for $600 with the tranny problem.

Did a swap to a 750 (engine bought for $300) but I've already dumped nearly $1500 into the bike.

TbH if you're gonna drop $1500 (which you will!) you have much better options out there than one with a bad tranny.
                  My Geeky Finance Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by DefStatic View Post

Now I know how I will be painting/polishing the rims on mine! Thanks for the pic. I needs me some Suzuki stickers too.

Comment

i have the same rims.
                      where are you located static?

Comment

looks like a nice piece,though i would have to agree with the cyber poet and buy it part it out, or even pass on it all together and get a whole different bike . there are some good deals out there for some decent bikes. for instance i got a 94 600 kat with 6500 miles on it for 700 bucks at a car dealer that traded it in and they didnt want it nor know what it was worth ,so with some patience and a keen eye you can get a great deal you just have to take the time to find it ......ITS OUT THERE lol
                        BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

i got mine off craigs list for free. replaced the wiring harness and the cdi (60$ on katriders.com) and did a title bond ($100) pod filters ($46 ebay.com) 3 cans of spray paint (18$ autozone ) and now im riding (priceless)

Comment

Originally posted by DefStatic View Post
                            So I figured a motorcycle for the nice days would be, well, nice.
                            do you have any riding experience?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
                              do you have any riding experience?
                              Nope, that is why I am shooting cheap. And yes, I plan on taking an MSF course, as it is not only required in my state (Maine), but I believe it would do me a world of good. Basically, I am just looking for something for around town and back and forth to work (a 1 mile drive, but still costly in the Jeep), and short trips. No highway.

Sounds like the owner is selling it back to the person they bought it off of. If they are willing to give her back $800, then they are probably not going to budge.

I suppose it won't hurt to wait a little longer. I actually have someone to buy my Saturn possibly, so that money will help. I'd really like something that looked like that one, or Yellow/Black.

My labor would be free too. I'll see if they would take $500 and if not, who she is selling it back to and deal with them.

BTW, $2000 is my max budget for a motorcycle right now.
                              1996 Saturn SL2 *CUSTOM*

Comment

Working...
                              X