Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not starting after sliding

BIKE IN QUESTION
    2002 suzuki katana 750

Short story, f***** pulled out in front of me and I slammed on my brakes slid about 15 feet on the right side. Blew up signal generator cover and bike remained running until I stood up to turn it off. Now it will not start but it cranks. Checked the spark by grounding plug to motor and nothing. Any sensors that could not allow spark? Any help would be appreciated. Been working two jobs for this bike so I would hate for it to have to go.

Signal generator may have been damaged.wiring also runs on the right side. Check the fuses also.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

And that could cause the bike to have no spark? And thank you for response. Anyway to check before I order it?

Comment

No signal=no spark. Test it first... the manual is here for download. Mechanics 101
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

So I did the tests from the manual for signal generator and coils, everything looked fine so far, maybe ignition. I'm trying to think of what the impact really could have done. Man this blows. Best place to buy parts online anybody?

Comment

So got the bike to start today, used a battery jumper and it fired right up, would this name a battery issue or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenndenmf View Post
              So got the bike to start today, used a battery jumper and it fired right up, would this name a battery issue or something else?
              Possibly...

Kats need 11v+ at the coils to start, especially a cold start. Use a digital volt meter (harbor freight even has some for like $5) so you can get exact readings.

Test the voltage at the battery positive post (should be 12.3-12.5), then with the key on test again and check voltage at the coils. Then with the starter turning the motor over check again at the positive post and coils.

If you see a major variance between them that's a problem. If you see the coils get less than 11v at any time, that's a problem.

10.5v at the coils on a cold engine... = your starter will turn the heck out of the engine, but it will never fire off and start. You could bump start it in 2nd gear easily enough because the altenator will provide the electrical output needed many times, but start using the starter... not gonna work with out the right voltage.

Once you have verified info... you can work out where the issue is. For example, you have the starter turning over and the batter voltage isn't dropping, but the coil voltage is under 10... that's not a batt issue, it's a wiring issue. Or alternatively your battery with key off is starting at 10v... that's not gonna work. Or perhaps you see the voltage go from 12v key on to 8v starter turning over. That's a failed load test for the battery, and it's no good.

Sealed battery? If not, you might wanna check the fluid levels.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
              X