No announcement yet.
X

Battery Life

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered a new AGM battery. The current battery is wonky. Sometimes it reads strong, other times not so much. I am thinking there is a short in there, somewhere. Best just to replace. I did take apart my start and runs/of switches and cleaned them. It cranks a little better, but the problem is still the battery.

The funny thing is, until the past week, it was perfectly fine. Oh well.

Comment

1 battery having an issue, probably a bad battery.

Multiple batteries... might point that there is another issue.

It's not uncommon for the kat to develop issues with the wiring harness that drops voltage. This gets much worse when the wire gets hot. Poor connections or corrosion/oxidization on the connections will cause resistance that will heat up the wires/connections. So if your having multiple batteries drop out on you, I'd suggest it's probably the following...

The alternator has an input wire that is used for the voltage regulator to adjust the output. If something reduces the power at that input point on the regulator lower than the rest of the system, you have a situation where the system will "cook" the battery from over charging. This could be a variable... only happens after long rides, or over certain air temps, or when a specific set of electrical devices are in use....

I'd check multiple times if there are variances present between the voltage at the battery and the input for the alternator. If you see a diff, that's an issue that could be causing your batteries to fail.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I will check that out. I did notice that the voltage was over 15 at the battery when it is running. DK what is normal.

Comment

Multiple sources verify the following info as correct.

The battery voltage should not exceed 13.8 volts for long periods and 14.4 volts for short periods (8 hours maximum).
          A digital meter may give a more specific measure of the voltage, but I would expect over 14.5 = problematic and cooking a battery.

My manual says at 5k rpm over 13.5v is what the output should be - but overcharging an is issue to look out for.

Krey
          Last edited by Kreylyn; 06-06-2017, 10:11 AM.
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the info. When I install the new battery, I will test voltage, while running, with my son's digital meter.

Even after sitting for a while, the battery would hold voltage around 13. The problem was that, after sitting for 12 or so hours, voltage under starter load would drop below 9v, whereas it would stay above 10, when the battery was freshly charged. Sounds like something was cooked.

As to your earlier post, I cleaned all the connections in the harness, two years ago. That helped starting, a bit, but my voltage was well over 11V at my "worst" connection, when I checked (if my old brain can recollect correctly). I have no problems starting the Kat, since replacing the battery, in August 2015, even after two winters. I mean, one day it cranked very strongly and the next day it didn't. That battery was in for about 6,000 miles.
            Last edited by TripleKing; 06-06-2017, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Multiple sources verify the following info as correct.

A digital meter may give a more specific measure of the voltage, but I would expect over 14.5 = problematic and cooking a battery.

My manual says at 5k rpm over 13.5v is what the output should be - but overcharging an is issue to look out for.

Krey
              Houston, we have a problem.

I installed the new battery. It came charged, as AGM's usually are. I hooked it up to my volt meter. It read 12.8. I pressed the starter button and it cranked strongly. I adjusted the choke and pressed again and she started right up. That is when I noticed the problem.

At fast idle, the volt meter was reading 15.8 volts at the battery. The engine was not fully warmed up, but I turned off the choke and it sunk into a low idle at 900 RPM (rising bit by bit as it warmed). Still, my volt meter was unwavering at 15.8 volts. In fact, regardless of RPM, the volt meter read 15.8 volts.

You mentioned that it could be that the regulator is not reading the battery correctly, I read that this could be because of a problem with the "orange wire" and that it was a common problem. Where is this wire? I assume one of the connectors, under the tank.
              Last edited by TripleKing; 06-07-2017, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleKing View Post
                Houston, we have a problem.

I installed the new battery. It came charged, as AGM's usually are. I hooked it up to my volt meter. It rad 12.8. I pressed the starter button and it cranked strongly. I adjusted the choke and pressed again and she started right up. That is when I noticed the problem.

At fast idle, the volt meter was reading 15.8 volts at the battery. The engine was not fully warmed up, but I turned off the choke and it sunk into a low idle at 900 RPM (rising bit by bit as it warmed). Still, my volt meter was unwavering at 15.8 volts. In fact, regardless of RPM, the volt meter read 15.8 volts.

You mentioned that it could be that the regulator is not reading the battery correctly, I read that this could be because of a problem with the "orange wire" and that it was a common problem. Where is this wire? I assume one of the connectors, under the tank.
                Input wire for the alternator. It's the single wire that plugs into the side. Check the voltage there vs at battery. If it's reading less than the battery, then the system will put out more than is necessary.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Input wire for the alternator. It's the single wire that plugs into the side. Check the voltage there vs at battery. If it's reading less than the battery, then the system will put out more than is necessary.

Krey

First, I want to thank you for your help. Secondly, I wish to apologize for my foolishness. I had a long day and when my brain cleared I realize it was the plug carrying the power from the battery. This what happens when one is over-stressed, old and borderline senile.

I cleaned that contacts best I could with what I had handy(small spark plug brush, some rubbing alcohol and some swaps. After doing that the volt meter read 15 versus a prior 15.8. Thus, I have found the problem. Tomorrow I will get some better cleaning stuff (contact cleaner, copper brush, etc.)

If you have any suggestion for cleaning the contacts, especially the female side, I am all ears.

Worse comes to worse, I will jump the orange wire with a water-tight connection.

Comment

Contact cleaner, jewel smith pics or dental pics and dielectric grease.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      Contact cleaner, jewel smith pics or dental pics and dielectric grease.

I have small picks and dialectric grease. Just need the cleaner. I wish I had small jewelers files or maybe as thin emery board.

Comment

No way to get those very clean, other than replacement.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Let see how well I can do. There is always the option of jumping the orange wire.

Comment

Cleaned all best I could, contact cleaner, brush, etc. Still 15 volts.

Jumped the wire with a splice (just to see) Got 14.9-15.1, back and forth. Better than the 15.8 I had before, but still too high

Comment

Are you checking at the orange feed on the alternator? Should read actual bat voltage. That wire come from the fuse box, you'll need to clean that also. I've found that wire very corroded at the fuse box.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Are you checking at the orange feed on the alternator? Should read actual bat voltage. That wire come from the fuse box, you'll need to clean that also. I've found that wire very corroded at the fuse box.
                                I just deal with the harness plug, tonight.

Doing it piecemeal as I am also working on a BMW F650GS.

Comment

Working...
                                X