X

GS550 project update (56k beware)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GS550 project update (56k beware)

So far I have 22 hours into the project, and this is the progress.

as it arrived:

[img][/img]

half way through teardown:

[img][/img]

Frame sandblasted....and frame painted:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Various brackets and such after paint:

[img][/img]

rims polished.....will paint in rest:

[img][/img]

here is the bike partially re-assembled:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

The only thing that is a setback is the carbs, but I found a set locally that I have to go take a look at. I also need some new steering head bearings and a chain...and she should be all set. After all is done, I am expecting the total cost for the bike to be around $5-600 and about 40 hours of work. That is just the mechanics. The body repair/painting will be extra.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

I thought you went off and built that wonderful powdercoating oven... then why did you "paint" the frame instead of powercoating it?

Just curious. By the way, nice work!

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

see that big box behind the first pic....by the window.....and again in the pick with the brackets hanging....see all the wires hanging? That is the oven. It isn't finished yet. I just need to wire some switches and a fuse panel...then toss in the insulation and seal it up. I need to make some doors as well. It got put on hold because of winter. I had no heat in my shop, and it was toooo damn cold to do anything. Now I have like a dozen things I have to get done. I am going down the list according to priority. Next job is paint my car. It looks like crap. Then I will finish the oven and get started on the rest of my 92 kat with the V&H engine. This year will be better because I will install a furnace in the shop in order to be able to work right through winter.

so that is why I used paint. Ron said Dupli-color worked fine for him, so that is what I used. This bike only has to serve it's purpose for this summer, and next year it will be sold...maybe. Or maybe I will set it aside so one day I can do it all over again...this time with powdercoat. It depends on what I can scrounge up for parts in the meantime. If I am going to keep it around, I want enough spare parts so I don't have search like I do now.

I also have to share the credit. The girlfriend I tossed off the bridge a few weeks ago...well she's back. She picked up the bike and is taking her MSF course. She also put alot of work into this project. You know...the dirty stuff like degreasing and sanding...lol. She is getting a crash course on the mechanics of a bike...and it has brought us closer together....so we just might have to keep this bike around for sentimental reasons.

Comment

speaking of the 1100 kat project, I picked myself up an industrial polisher pretty cheap. it's kind of dirty and not a very good pic (it's the pic they advertised it on the net with), but it works just fine. Really heavy duty...so you can really use some muscle.

also, if anyone from canada wants to make a good investment, go buy one of those stools you see in the pic...the orange ones. $19.99 at Canadian Tire. adjustable height and saves the knees. I liked it so much I went and bought another one.

[img][/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
          I also have to share the credit. The girlfriend I tossed off the bridge a few weeks ago...well she's back. She picked up the bike and is taking her MSF course. She also put alot of work into this project. You know...the dirty stuff like degreasing and sanding...lol. She is getting a crash course on the mechanics of a bike...and it has brought us closer together....so we just might have to keep this bike around for sentimental reasons.
          The Girlfriend's Back???!!!!

And you're posting threads about motorycle frames?

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ya...she is. I just didn't say anything about it cuz I would start sounding like one of those guys I laughed at for so many years. so ya...it's going good. she is giving the trust thing a try and I am able to relax. if it works, it works. if not....I will just send her a bill for time and materials.
            na...just kidding about that.

she is the one who will decide what it looks like in the end. I still have no idea what color it is going to be....cuz she hasn't decided yet. one day it's going to be blue with airbrush work, the next it is going to be purple....then gray. but that is quite a ways from happening. I have alot of body work to do. every piece of fairing has at least one crack. It all has to be sandblasted and patched up. she is going to spend half the summer riding around with the origial paint and primer until I can get it all done. finding any parts for a 23 yr old bike that isn't cracked is next to impossible.

Comment

Maybe you should have her visit http://www.alsacorp.com/paints.htm and let her go crazy...

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Damn dude , you got a GREAT setup going there . If you didn't live in Canadia , I'd ask to move into the garage just so I could work there .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  Damn dude , you got a GREAT setup going there . If you didn't live in Canadia , I'd ask to move into the garage just so I could work there .
                  thanks man...and ya, I love it. I am adding more and more equipment gradually, and hopefully within a year I will be fully eqipped to ....well...do whatever it is I want to do..lol.
                  Then I will add a microwave, a cot and a fridge and live in it..lol.
                  (just kidding about that).

Comment

Dude! I would live in a shop in a heart beat!
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      Maybe you should have her visit http://www.alsacorp.com/paints.htm and let her go crazy...

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      she has been there...as well as to HOK.
                      I have to keep her in check or she would be putting a grand worth of paint on it......not to mention my time. so Alsa is out, tyvm. I have a few paint chip books here from BASF...and that is the best she is going to get for now....until she is comfortable on the bike and the risk of dropping it decreases.

Comment

Working...
                      X