X

Stopped at red lights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopped at red lights

OK, I know everyone hates tailgaters and inattentive cagers, but how often does this happen to you? I frequently ride on roads where there are many traffic lights. Whenever I stop at a light it seems like 80% of the time the car behind me is right on my back wheel. I know I'm stopped, but that really annoys me Why the hell do they have to get so close? Whenever I'm in my car and I'm stopped behind a bike I give them a good 6' of clearance (then again, it bothers me when people get close so I'm probably more aware). Do people pull right up your butts at stoplights or is it just the drivers down here? If they do pull real close does it bother you, or is it just me
    ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

no yellow kat i live in PA and i notice it everyonce in a while someone will do it but for the most part they stay back a good distance to give me space.

Comment

Just to let ya know it happends in my neck of the woods too. your not the only ones it aggrevates me as well
      "No regrets, that's my motto. Well... that and everyone Wang Chung tonight." -Out Cold 2001

Comment

What's a red light? Never seen one while combining.

Comment

Happens everywhere. The roads that have stoplights here usually have about 4-5 lights in a row. If I notice that someone is getting way too close, i roll my bike back a little bit as if I'm not paying attention on a slope, and brake when I'm even closer. If that doesn't make them back up a little bit at that light, it definitely makes them give me more room at the next light. Probably take me for a crazy biker, but who cares.
          Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Hiya YellowKat...it's not just you, it pisses me off too...and here in So Calif there are so many Jack Holes in cages, it happens to me about a dozen times a day

There isn't anything I can do about it, and its the reason I almost always now split lanes up to the front of the signal...I think it's safer in the long run...I just hate splitting lanes anywhere for that matter...

That and I just try to ignore them...

Wishing you and everyone on KR the very best...stay cool 8)

Comment

I actually got off the bike because I was behind some grandma and some little 17 year old was on my ass honking. He didn't stay for a chat. *shrug*

Comment

It really gets on my nerves when Im driving my car as well. People dont really understand their actions until something happens.
                Fast Eddie

No day is promised, live life to the fullest!!

Comment

Originally posted by macgyver
                  no yellow kat i live in PA and i notice it everyonce in a while someone will do it but for the most part they stay back a good distance to give me space.
                  Consider yourself lucky bro , when Im out riding, having somebody on my tail in traffic at a light more times that I can count is par for the course..no matter how much you tap your brake light, motion to stay back, or resort to turning around yelling at them, it does no good. They never learn...but God forbid if a cage tailgates them, well the world is coming to an end and they are up in arms.

Comment

I will admit to one thing I sometimes do. Every now and then if the person is too close for a series of lights and is really annoying me I let them get close to me at the next red light. Then I just get off my bike and look around (while still running in neutral), acting like there's something wrong with it. Generally the traffic is heavy and they haven't left enough room to get around me. I hop back on and shoot through the intersection on the yellow. I think this annoys them something fierce. I'm not sure, would this be considered "passive aggressive"?
                    ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

I believe there must be a competition here in Canada for closest tailgater this year because its been pretty bad lately. I'm not comfortable with cars, let alone big trucks, being so close. I wonder what prompts people to do so? I have some theories, which usually involves some form of mental incapacitation on the part of the offending driver.
                      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

I can't stand that. I just wait untill after the light changes. Then I take off slow, and late then when they try to pass me I just accelerate and don't give them room to go around. Then at the next light I slow way down untill the light goes yellow and go real slow through the intersection and p!ss them off.
                        here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.
                        http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/dragkota98/

Comment

All the time dude,I don't know what the deal is. The other night my wife was riding home from work doing about 70,75 and this car was right on her ass.If she's in a car it does not happen, but on the bike it seems like she's being bullied. Best way to combat tailgaiters is politly turn around and stare right at um.Be careful to do it intermitetly while in motion.....In my exper. it works well...Intimidation

Comment

Yea, that happens here to, my dad told me a story of his freind on a 20 min ride home guy was tail gatting him the whole way home, got to a red light put the kick stand down took off his helmet slammed it down on the hood, put the helmet back on and took off. Just how people deal with it is what is different but it deff. happens everywhere!
                            Life's fast so you have to be faster, ride fast and take risks...

Comment

just push the bike back into there car and say THEY HIT YOU

only time i like them to be close to me is when i wave them foraward to get on the sensor...

use to be in FL so i know what you are talking about
                              Woody
                              http://www.nationalcyclesupply.net
                              http://www.ncsupply.com

Comment

Working...
                              X