Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

14 Tooth sprocket installed...I'm not sure I like it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Correct with regard to changing the complete drive assembly, chain and both sprockets.

However....('cause there's always a however)
    ...personally, I chose to change only the front sprocket because my chain is in "Like New" condition, (nice bevels on the sides of the teeth, and no sign of points being ground into the tips.

Also, usually new pieces are prematurely worn be the wear of the original pieces, in this case the front sprocket is relatively cheap and will answer my performance questioons without costing a great deal of money.

Changing the front sprocket is relatively easy. It took me about an hour.
    Carefully removing body side plastics. Loosening the rear wheel and chain tension. Removal of the drive gear cover and speedo pick up.

Specific tools required.....? I had a whole assortment of allen key drive bits and a 32mm socket for the drive gear nut.

Oh . and Loctite.
    "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Thanks for the info man. If you could also send me a link from where to get the sprocket, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Skotty
      2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Comment

I just picked up mine at the dealer.

They had it in stock.

$30. cdn.

...or 2 gallons of Gas!

Comment

how far off will the speed-o be?how do you correct the problem?thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rwcreigh
            how far off will the speed-o be?how do you correct the problem?thanks
            The speed will be off by +7.14%. This is in addition to the (approximately) 8.5% the stock speedometer is typically off by. You can correct the speedometer by buying a product called "Speedohealer" or its competitor "Yellowbox" and connecting it to your system. Even though the speedometer is analog, it's really using electronics to perform its function.
            "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

I'm guessing about 3 mph.
              'course thats from getting some buddies to ride beside me.
              Also about 500rpm higher on the tach.

a "Speedohealer" will correct it on the 98+ machines, but because bike speedo.s are calibrated to display higher than actual from the factory, it might actually be closer to "Real" speed than before.

Watch this..... Oh Cyber !

Comment

Stupid question

Call me a dick if I am wrong but how will changing the cogs affect the revs indicated on the counter (do you mean it will rev higher at the same speed) ???
                1996 Suzuki gsx-f 750 fighter
                1988 Yamaha tzr 250 with tt350 fourstroke fitted
                2004 Schwinn stingray with 80cc twostroke fitted

Comment

Re: Stupid question

Originally posted by debaser
                  Call me a dick if I am wrong but how will changing the cogs affect the revs indicated on the counter (do you mean it will rev higher at the same speed) ???
                  Exactly!

At a reading of 120kph I previously had the tach reading about 5700rpm.
                  Now at 120kph, it reads about 6200 rpm.

Comment

Hi Bobkat,

Was just curious as to how the sprocket's workin out for you. Have you decided to stick with it, or are you going back to stock? I am planning to get a 14 on the front for my 750. Would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks,

Skotty
                    2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

I got to admit that now that I've had it on for about three weeks if grown accustomed to it.
                      I'm really enjoying being able to "Hot Rod" it through the slower twisties. By that I mean, having the engine reving a bit higher gives me the feeling of more control via throttle response. Stock gearing makes the engine "Lugg" out of corners until it has time to pick up the RPM.s. Now, I can actually accelerate out of the corners. Yes definately more fun.

The downside. Significant loss of fuel milage. Due to two factors. The first being that I'm sprinting around more with it using those new midrange rpm.s. Secondly, lower gearing naturally uses more fuel. During last weekends group ride, I noticed significantly more consumption. Probably close to 20% more due to both factors.

Bottom line is .... I'm gonna keep it like this. However, If I were to go on a weekend trip or something this season, I'd probably take the time to stick my 15 tooth back on. For the fuel economy.

There's no doubt about it. It definately encourages the rider to, misbehave.

Do It !

Comment

I have a front sprocket for sale for $12 shipped. I went through a few combos to find out what (I) personally liked better.

the problem with sprockets is evolution, what i mean by that is if thats your FIRST mod, and you start going nuts like I did (headers, exhaust, weight reduction, jetted, basically the whole 9 yards plus a bag of chips) then your power really changes around. I recommend finishing your bike, then fine tuning your gearing.

on a side note, the sprockets are so in-expensive they are fun to toy around with.
                        anyways, if anyones interested PM me
                        99 Kat 6: hindle header+ carbon cannon, rear ohlins adjusty, K&N dirt mask, super jetted and flashy dyno'd, fiber-lyte pretty dash, carbon heel kicky guards, super cool solo cowl/second look seat skin combo ANNND the 520 chain conversion, super secrect perfect sprocket combo - some wicked pilot sport cup rubbers,NRC racing engine covers, fender elim kit --- any questions? FOR SALE $$$$$$$

Comment

Puleeeese direct me to where you got a front sprocket for $12 shipped. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Skotty
                          2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

um, that would be me personally. i am selling one that i didnt like in my setup. i needed access to more top end, then low end setup due to my mods. i know its been a LONG time since i posted, and i know there was a board crash some time back and all, but im one of the members who probally has the fastest 98+ kat 600. (unless someone still has a turbo kat, i think that dudes name was destroyed or something like that?)

i think i was the 1st here to have the full hindle setup, along countless other mods and i posted my dyno results with a 81.5 RWHP result. (starting from 65.8 stock)

i was TEARING through the gears way to fast, and rather then drop one in front and 2 in back, i went back with the 15 front. also due to the type of rider I am, i keep my bike at a startline of about 7500, so the -1 in front was WAY too aggressive for my higher horsepower. i could pull the front up with NO CLUTCHING.

anyways PM me and whoever gets the 1st pm in wins... canada is extra shipping cuz they are extra cool.

anyways its a vortex 14 tooth for 98+
                            99 Kat 6: hindle header+ carbon cannon, rear ohlins adjusty, K&N dirt mask, super jetted and flashy dyno'd, fiber-lyte pretty dash, carbon heel kicky guards, super cool solo cowl/second look seat skin combo ANNND the 520 chain conversion, super secrect perfect sprocket combo - some wicked pilot sport cup rubbers,NRC racing engine covers, fender elim kit --- any questions? FOR SALE $$$$$$$

Comment

Working...
                            X