X

Early model clutch vs. late model clutch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early model clutch vs. late model clutch

I'm getting ready to put new clutches in my son's 02 Kat 600. After researching my options, (17 year old needs a good clutch!), I noticed there are some differences between the early and late model clutches.

The early setup, pre 98, appears to use 6 springs instead of 4. I'm sure the 6 spring setup is going to have more holding power than the 4. My question is, why was the change made? Are the later model basket and clutches better? Bigger? More surface area? More efficient? I don't have 2 of them side by side to compare. Do the complete clutch assemblies interchange?

Also, Barnett? EBC? Stock with better springs? ??????

I want something tough that has a chance at lasting. Thanks. Rick

BTW, this wasn't a problem till he started drag racing it at the track!
    02 TL1000R, 05 Hayabusa, 02 Katana 600.....Sold

No the pre 98 ans 98+ clutchs will not interchange. I looked at this awhile back. My solution was to order the Kevlar friction plates, steel plates, and springs from Barnett. I built a 771 engine and the clutch was slipping at 8,000 RPM. Also don't use synthetic oil, use the Suzuki Lube or Yamalube.

Comment

Rip it open and decide if you need new plates or not. If not, EBC or stock. If yes, go with the Barretts.

PS - coming out tonight?

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        Rip it open and decide if you need new plates or not. If not, EBC or stock. If yes, go with the Barretts.

PS - coming out tonight?

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        When I was out at the dragstrip, it sounded like the clutch had just a bit of slippage when he ran. His times and mphs were good though.

I drove his bike to work yesterday just for grins and wow, it had some serious slippage! I outweigh him by about 80lbs so that may have made it seem worse. I will tear it down this weekend sometime and see what it needs.

He's tough on the equipment so I always try to upgrade when I can. I was 17 once so I understand! Ha!

BTW, I got your e-mail. Sounds like a fun day/night of motorcycling. Wish I could make but I can't this time. Keep me posted for future rides/events!

Thanks. Rick
        02 TL1000R, 05 Hayabusa, 02 Katana 600.....Sold

Comment

Originally posted by bbqb4racin
          When I was out at the dragstrip...
          and wow, it had some serious slippage!
          I would opt for the stronger Barrett kit if you are taking it out to the drags regularly -- that will help cure the slippage if he's (or you) is dragging with it regularly. Either way, irrelevant of the clutch you go with, it sounds like you'll want the Barrett springs (which are stronger than OEM/stock).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X