Cranks but won't start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranks but won't start

Hello Everyone,
    Well the weather was nice out today so I figured I would go ahead and start working on the bike. I purchased my bike about a month ago and the guy I bought it from said it needed a new petcock. At the time of purchase the guy had taken the bike apart and got it to start for a few minutes but it kept shutting off because he said the petcock wasn't allowing fuel to flow. I went ahead and put in a petcock that I bought off of a katriders member and the bike cranked and sputtered a bit but still won't start. I took a look around and found three hoses that were disconnected. One hose was easy to figure out where it went so I hooked it up. Can someone please let me know if that's definitely where it goes? Here's a pic I took.

Then there were these other two hoses I found hanging around and I couldn't figure out where they go.

I think the thinner longer hose is the one that attaches to the battery but that's just my noob guess. I couldn't however figure out at all where the shorter wider hose goes. The thin hose looks like it comes from under the gas tank. Heres a pic.

The wider hose looks like it goes into an area behind one of the fuel hoses.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also it would be cool if someone could tell me what they think could be the problem. After changing the petcock, the bike cranked and sputtered a bit but didn't want to start. After a few failed attempts the bike would just crank but wouldn't even sputter like it did right after I changed the petcock. It was more of a dry crank if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by Dankid; 03-08-2009, 03:23 PM.
    We don't stop riding because we grow old, We grow old when we stop riding!

unkink that fuel line

Comment

Originally posted by cleankat96 View Post
      unkink that fuel line
      Yeah I didn't like how that fuel line was bent but I left it as-is cause I figured it's not causing the bike not start. Once I get the bike running I'm gonna put new fuel lines in.

Comment

Pics 1-3 show overflow/vent hoses... they should only have one end attatched, the other ends go out the bottom of the bike.

Pic 4 clearly shows a kinked fuel line... kinked means no gas flowing... fix that, make sure the other one is not doing the same.

That would definately cause an issue.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I would also hook a fuel filter in-line with that gas line, you may end up pulling crap out of your tank and into your carbs. Then you'll be tearing the bike apart again and cleaning your carbs.
          "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Pic 4 clearly shows a kinked fuel line... kinked means no gas flowing... fix that, make sure the other one is not doing the same.

That would definately cause an issue.
            I'm just going to go ahead then and put in some new fuel lines to see if it starts.

Originally posted by Mikey Dank View Post
            I would also hook a fuel filter in-line with that gas line, you may end up pulling crap out of your tank and into your carbs. Then you'll be tearing the bike apart again and cleaning your carbs.
            Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely be doing that when I get a chance to work on the bike again. The guy who sold me the petcock also suggested I put in new spark plugs so i'm going to try all these things to see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey Dank View Post
              I would also hook a fuel filter in-line with that gas line
              you have a pre 98 Katana. DO NOT DO THAT

Comment

not questioning you arsenic, but may I ask why?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  you have a pre 98 Katana. DO NOT DO THAT

Gravity feed fuel lines with inline gas filters do not play well together. About the same effect as kinking the fuel line.

I've tried them... 9 different versions of various sizes... And none worked enough to not cause problems. Besides, I learned, if you have a reason to use one, your gonna need to clean your tank and the carbs anyways. Rust particles are small enough to get through the filters and still collect in and clog up your carbs.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok, just wondering, thanks krey

Comment

And that line coming from the airbox just hangs , but it's 'POSED to be plugged . Make sure it IS while you're at it
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                      X