No announcement yet.
X

my kat shuts off while riding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update- so i had someone look at it that has more experience on bikes than i do, he believes that the gas cap could be the problem. now that i think of it i did install my buddies busa gas cap on my gas tank at the start of the season. maybe someone can explain to me why that would make a difference since it bolted right on with no problem.
    Last edited by illwillone; 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by illwillone View Post
      upsate- so i had someone look at it that has more experience on bikes than i do, he believes that the gas cap could be the problem. now that i think of it i did install my buddies busa gas cap on my gas tank at the start of the season. maybe someone can explain to me why that would make a difference since it bolted right on with no problem.
      It doesn't vent the same allowing a vacuum to form in the tank and stopping fuel flow.

Comment

that makes sense , but now when i buy a replacement from ebay is there anything i should be looking for or as long as its for a katana it would work .

Comment

pretty much

Comment

ok got the bike back from the guy who was working on it , so far so good no shuting off. but now there is a constint fuel drip coming from a hose leading to the bottom of the fuel tank which i'm guessing is the vent hose or does it belong attached to something . and yes the bike runs fine . if that is the vent hose why is there fuel coming out of it ?

Comment

If it is indeed the vent hose thats dripping it means it has rusted through in the tank and the tank will most likely need to be replaced, a "ghetto" fix and not recomended is to run tge rubber line higher than the fuel level
              never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
              Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
              confused katana build

Comment

ok got the bike back from the guy who was working on it , so far so good no shuting off. but now there is a constint fuel drip coming from a hose leading to the bottom of the fuel tank which i'm guessing is the vent hose or does it belong attached to something . and yes the bike runs fine . if that is the vent hose why is there fuel coming out of it ?
                Are you sure it's the vent hose? I had an issue once on my '89 where the rear line at the petcock simply needed to be snipped a bit and a new c-clip put on.
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

it looks like the vent hose , cause it doesnt go anywhere and just hangs out . let me understand this right so it sounds like the gas tank is leaking into the vent of the fuel tank.is the only fix a new fuel tank ?

@blitz so your saying if i place the end of the rubber line thats leaking higher than the fuel level than it wouldnt leak. would i be able to do this for temporary fix. & how or would it cause any problems riding like that

just thought of something can i just plug that hose or would it cause a problem if i pluged the end of the hose
                  Last edited by illwillone; 05-26-2012, 02:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

it looks like the vent hose , cause it doesnt go anywhere and just hangs out . let me understand this right so it sounds like the gas tank is leaking into the vent of the fuel tank.is the only fix a new fuel tank ?

@blitz so your saying if i place the end of the rubber line thats leaking higher than the fuel level than it wouldnt leak. would i be able to do this for temporary fix. & how or would it cause any problems riding like that

just thought of something can i just plug that hose or would it cause a problem if i pluged the end of the hose
                    If you place it higher than the tank it wont leak the purpose of the vent is to allow air in so it doesnt create a vacuum in the tank preventing gas from flowing again this should just be temporary because if it is rusting out its only a matter of time before you tank rust through and no you cant plug it also make sure it cant be exposed to rain or you could wind up with water in your tank
                    Last edited by blitz2190; 05-26-2012, 02:56 PM.
                    never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                    Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                    confused katana build

Comment

update, took the bike for a long ride today, started off good but towards the middle and the end of my trip the kat turned off on me again. no matter what speed or if i was taking a turn or going straight it would turn off without any warning signs.wa told the fuel cap was causing the problem so i put the oem cap back on and cleaned out the fuel tank . now its getting to a point where its effecting my riding cause i keep thinking its going to shut off on me any minute.i really need some suggestions on what it could be its really annoying me now .another thing is when it does turn off on me it wont restart right away .how would i know if its overheating with no temp gauge ?

Comment

Working...
                      X