X

Sputtering On Acceleration

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sputtering On Acceleration

My 2006 Katana is sputtering when I accelerate and I'm losing power. I recently changed the ignition advancer to a Factory Pro advancer, however I haven't a clue if the ignition advancer is the problem or if maybe some rain water may have gotten into the fuel tank. The sputtering was intermitant, but is now a constant sputtering. Can anyone please help? I know it's kind of hard to diagnose the problem without hearing the sound, but just a genaral clue of what it might be would be great. Thanks for any help that you might be in advance.
    sigpic

Add some Seafoam fuel conditioner, if you think it is a fuel problem

I had bogging fallowed by backfiring
    thought I had a bad coil
    I back flushed the fuel filter, put in a set of plugs and half a can of Seafoam
    I had bought fuel two days before , just started acting up
    Last edited by rexazz2; 09-17-2009, 03:52 PM.
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I'll try some of that. Just pour it directly into the fuel tank?
      sigpic

Comment

half a can to a full tank , it is pretty strong

Comment

as of right now, the problem has been resolved. I bought some seafoam and some new gas. I think it was the fuel in my bike that was old. I'm hoping this was the problem and I don't have any more of these problems. I think I need to sync the carbs or maybe replace the fuel filter. The bike sat up for a little while before I bought it. I know it's not motor problems, the bike is a 2006 and only had 6k miles on it when I bought it. I'm just now fixing to turn 10k miles in about 50 or 60 miles. Thanks for your help.
          sigpic

Comment

I kind of wonder how well the fuel cap seals on mine , it an 04
            I think thats the only place I could get the water other than the pumps

the other issue is Ethonal in the fuel , from what I understand it will absorb moisture

Comment

yeah, I was wondering if I should replace the seal on my tank lid. I was told by a good friend of mine is that the spark plugs on the bike are getting wet and causing a misfire if you will. I didn't think of that untill he said that. We have had a lot of rain, almost 7 - 8 inches of rain and I wasn't sure of what have been causing that. I really do appreciate your help and I can feel a difference in the way the bike runs after I added the Seafoam.
              sigpic

Comment

read the directions on the seafoam can. one can will treat like 33 gallons of fuel. you sure aint got a 15 gallong fuel tank. 5 maybe at best. i believe the mix stated on teh can is 1 oz to the gallon.

there is a drain hole in the area below the cap, outside the tank neck. it's a drain tube that runs down thru the tank and out the bottom to drain away water and spilt gas. make sure it's unclogged.
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                X