X

No more mirrors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more mirrors

Hi all, I can get a rear view camera and display practically for free. I'm in the process of painting my bike. I think I'm going to mount the camera under my rear seat and the display somewhere around the gauges. I think I'm gonna grind down the side mirror mounts with a dremel, fill in the space with body filler, and paint it. Anyone have any better ideas or think this is a bad one?

It also isn't an all weather lcd, so I'm going to cover it, most likely with plastic. You guys foresee any issues with wiring?

I personally don't think I'd go that route. I'd be concerned about blind spots and taking my eyes off the road. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Are you sure that such a project is even legal in your locality? In many states, rear-view MIRRORS are mandatory, even if they're only decorative. I'd be concerned about the po-po. You may want to check...
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I agree with Nero, check your local laws, kinda seems like an invitation to get a rolling visit and subsequent chat session with your local LEO.
        Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

i gotta agree with nero and jimbo, what about the states around you. they may not be forgiving. a cool idea but asking for trouble later down the road.

Comment

LCD screen displays don't work as well in bright outdoors light. Even less well when they're "covered in plastic" and dripping with rain. Otherwise, I like the idea of a rear view camera especially because I wouldn't have to look at my shoulders when I'm scanning what's behind me. But I'd need 2 displays (left and right), I don't need the stress of retraining my brain to look somewhere else for what's behind me.

Good luck on your project. I'd skip the rear view camera idea and move straight to a helmet cam idea. You'll get much better footage.

Comment

I agree w/ Slofuze & CaleKat. My neighbor has one on his Ninja he's never been stopped but his LCD Screen doesn't look all the great.

Comment

Good calls all, I figured those might be some responses. I'm not going to be in Florida much longer and think I might just take a crap shoot and see what happens considering the relatively low cost. Worst case scenario, Ill make the panels that cover the previous mirror attachment points hold smaller, more appealing mirrors.

Some of the main issues for me right now are: I'm not aware of surrounding traffic when I'm in tuck. The mirrors aren't very aerodynamic (lol).
                Last edited by Dago; 10-20-2008, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dago View Post
                  I'm not aware of surrounding traffic when I'm in tuck.
                  That sounds more like operator error. Why are you tucked in traffic?
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Sorry, can't answer that.

Comment

One other thing to think about is, with a mirror you still have a 3d view with depth perception, with a camera/lcd you will not. Also when you are focusing on the road and look at a mirror your focal length doesn't change much, as you are still focusing behind you. when you are looking at an lcd screen, that focal length changes and you are going from a 3d to 2d view and it takes more processing time for your brain, and your eyes stay off the road slightly longer than with a mirror. I knew someone that had one on an RV, he thought it was easier to use than his side mirrors. After using it for a while it died, and he started using the mirrors again and realized how much he actually did not see with the lcd screen.

ok there were my $.02.
                      Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Originally posted by Dago View Post
                        Sorry, can't answer that.
                        Maybe he's trying to avoid a chat with said LEO...
                        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
                          Maybe he's trying to avoid a chat with said LEO...

I swear officer, I am a socially responsible citizen.

That makes sense Sgt.Kimbo

Comment

Depending on your state the bike won't pass inspection which means you can't renew plates which means you ride illegally.

I've seen plenty of folks who ride without mirrors but as long as they have their helmet on then the cops leave them alone around here.

Comment

I don't think a lcd screen would work very well in cold weather?

Comment

Working...
                              X