No announcement yet.
X

oil cooler fan(s)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my tired old athlon 100 the fan is still good to go.

So when I hear some Florida girl trying to educate us I do get pissed. And it's funny how the status works; Castro girls do not respond when there is a contreversy on their part. They only respond when it is confy to their own opinion. Same as the president, but florida had a dip in it, so what can we come up with.

Not a squid at all but as close to that other payed representative. I tought we were talking about 12 DC fans girl. Weren't we?

Edit'd for content/language..KR Management.

Comment

Everybody's ideas and suggestions are just as welcomed in this thread as the original post is when asking about the idea. Each is entitled to their own opinion as to what type of fan/idea might work and what type(s) might not.

No reason to resort to name calling or to downgrading someone else's suggestion.

Comment

why not just use a gsxr cooling fan? seems to be perfect so far, already got the temp sender plumbed in and just gotta make a couple easy mounts for the fan and run some wires and ill be done with it,, got a brand new gsxr fan and kick stand on ebay for $28.50 shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by *01kat600*
          why not just use a gsxr cooling fan? seems to be perfect so far, already got the temp sender plumbed in and just gotta make a couple easy mounts for the fan and run some wires and ill be done with it,, got a brand new gsxr fan and kick stand on ebay for $28.50 shipped.
          That ought to work superbly.

I also found these since "G" posted up last year:

Meanwhile, I sold Jason05 my 750 cooler because he was caught between a hard place and needed on in a pinch (RIP JASON). I hope to score another one some time soon to install.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

heh now, i gotta question lol... is the cali fan wiring big enough to run the gsxr fan? its not a big deal to run a relay just itd be a lil easier and if itd work no prob id do it but i cant find the amps of either fan or what that wiring will handle..

Comment

No clue on the wiring. Running a relay from the battery to the thermister controller hot wire on the 98+ (the controller plug for the cali fan; the plug that exists in all the US models) would work with no problems.

As it is, I have a special bracket (nestles just inside the existing relay/fuse bracket over the battery & uses the same bolts to mount) with a 6-gang fuseblock that I designed/sell and have in my own bike. Tying that into a relay triggered by the cali fan controller plug ignition-hot wire is how I run all my accessories, and would be very simply/easy to do. BTW, the bracket & fuse-panel is $32 + shipping.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                I also found these since "G" posted up last year:

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                That Spal 7" fan's air flow shows 440CFM, what would that be in MPH? Would 440CFM be sufficient air flow to cool the oil at a stand still?
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy
                  That Spal 7" fan's air flow shows 440CFM, what would that be in MPH?
                  Interesting question. I will take a stab at it (math not shown because it would bore everyone to tears):

Given a 7" fan with a [purely gestimated] 1-7/8" solid center (motor & spindle hub area), the air would move at approximately 20.3 mph

That's a simple calculation based on actual area of the fan (less area of the motor & spindle), using the CFM to come up with an equivilent speed to generate the same volume across the same area. I'm sure there's all sorts of other variables (such as maximum flow through the cooler fins) that can be factored in that I left out... I'm sure Black_peter has the other efficiency factors available, if he wanted to tackle the same question.

Meanwhile, 20.3 mph ought to be enough in 85 degree weather given a slightly rich mix and no advancer; I doubt it would be enough for a stock-jetted engine (lean) with an ignition advancer running in 95 degree weather.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

oops, i f*ed up

Ignore this post.
                    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                    18v Rigid Drill
                    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Whoa, way different numbers... maybe we should compare math...

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yea, I figured an equation wrong...its been a while since physics class, lol

I think I need a refresher before I start jumping into these topics....
                        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                        18v Rigid Drill
                        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          Originally posted by squiggy
                          That Spal 7" fan's air flow shows 440CFM, what would that be in MPH?
                          Interesting question. I will take a stab at it (math not shown because it would bore everyone to tears):
                          Oh You're no fun!!!!
                          Given a 7" fan with a [purely gestimated] 1-7/8" solid center (motor & spindle hub area), the air would move at approximately 20.3 mph

That's a simple calculation based on actual area of the fan (less area of the motor & spindle), using the CFM to come up with an equivalent speed to generate the same volume across the same area. I'm sure there's all sorts of other variables (such as maximum flow through the cooler fins) that can be factored in that I left out... I'm sure Black_peter has the other efficiency factors available, if he wanted to tackle the same question.

Meanwhile, 20.3 mph ought to be enough in 85 degree weather given a slightly rich mix and no advancer; I doubt it would be enough for a stock-jetted engine (lean) with an ignition advancer running in 95 degree weather.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          I'm shocked my ears weren't burning.. Calculations, heat, oil coolers..
                          Recipe for me to be all over a post!
                          Maximum flow though the oil cooler is a hella hard calculation, you can make some assumptions but the FEA tool needed to do it right has an 18 volume manual.
                          really... it does. I hope when I return to the real world (Austin) to do some empirical data collection. It is the easiest way to the data.
                          I'll look back on the question but I gotta go poo right now..

Comment

I think CPs calculations on the air speed are valid.
                            Fans are generally used in closed or semi closed environments. In these cases it doesn't matter what the speed of the air is, it matters what the volume of air moved is.
                            For example if you have toxic chemicals in a cabinet you vent that cabinet at a rate that keeps the concentration down so when you open the cabinet you don't die. The fan (or exhaust vent) is rated at CFM (cubic feet per minute) You calculate the volume of the cabinet and the vapor pressure of the chemical (the "rate" it dissolves into air) and figure how many times per minute you need to get all "new" air in the cabinet.
                            Back to the fan thing.
                            CP has empirical data relating the oil temp to speed of the bike. While not truly the air speed of the air over the oil cooler I would say it's close enough for discussion. (due to fairing design etc the speed may be higher or lower) The issue with adding a fan is that you cannot replicate the air flow over the cooler even if you replicate the air speed with a fan. To replicate the air flow you would need fans running over the tested speed and fully cover the oil cooler. (you would need to over run the speed because the brackets and center hub would actually be un fanned areas. so you need to over compensate with the fanned areas.) Also the fans would need to run at maximum air speed (135 mph) because the fans would block the real air from cooling the oil cooler surface (since you had to cover the area to begin with.) So you play a game:
                            Cover some of the oil cooler with a fan, this fan will cool an area of the cooler better at stand still/low speed but block the cooler at higher speeds. Run full coverage fans that cycle or spin down but can at maximum run more air across the cooler than the air entering the front from the bike movement. I mention that they might need to cycle or run at several speeds because you can over cool oil...

Comment

So after all this talk, speculation, arguement, and equations...I've decided just to not stop at Stop signs or for traffic. That way I never have to worry about.
                              Currently Kat-less....but still in love with them.

And as I hit 6th gear, I forgot what she said...

Comment

I just thought of something that might be the best of both worlds. Mounting a fan on the side of the oil cooler. This would blow air across the face rather than through it. This would offer cooling and would not block the path of air while moving.

Comment

Working...
                                X