X

hard to start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard to start

Even after if it is warmed up it takes many and many retrys to get it starting again. I just got this bike so i don't really know what is wrong with it. Once its on the bike runs fine.

Could be a number of things, including old fuel if the fuel in it is still the fuel you bought it with. On virtually all non-california model bikes, fuel can evaporate off the lighter compounds over time, which makes starting a bit of a bear. Additionally, sitting can cause the heavier compounds in gas to form a gummy coating on the passages. If there was any water (condensation) at the tank, it could easily have passed to the bottom of the carbs as well.

My advice to start with:
    Get a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner and ride to the gas station with high-detergent gasolines (Chevron, Shell come to mind). Pour in 1/3rd of a bottle, then top off with their premium fuel. Ride & park overnight. If the problems haven't gone away (or at least gotten substancially better) within 24 hours, then you'll need to do some disassembly work and open up the carbs as the next step.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just went through some problems like this with my new 600. The dealer showed me how to set the fuel to Res and forgot to put it back to normal. That helped a lot. The choke on mine is very strange. You have to turn it all the way on, press the starter and immediately rev it to 2-3K RPM to cause it to run. If you miss or do it wrong, it's a good dozen tries or more to get enough sputter to keep trying<g>.
      MikeG
      Central Oregon
      2006 Suzuki GSX600F
      (That's a Katana for non-insurance-agent people!)

Comment

you could have the wrong spark plugs

Comment

Originally posted by onthedot
          I just went through some problems like this with my new 600. The dealer showed me how to set the fuel to Res and forgot to put it back to normal. That helped a lot. The choke on mine is very strange. You have to turn it all the way on, press the starter and immediately rev it to 2-3K RPM to cause it to run. If you miss or do it wrong, it's a good dozen tries or more to get enough sputter to keep trying<g>.
          If you are having this issue even when the weather is warm, or the bike is already warm, then your bike isn't jetted correctly, or the smaller passages in the carbs are closed up some. In 65+ degree weather, you shouldn't need any choke to start normally.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What is your regular starting procedure? If the bike's warm, it doesn't need a lot of choke or gas to start.

If not, you have to babysit the choke for a while....

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

i usally get it a little gas while i push the start button till it fires

Comment

Tampa?

Hi CyberPoet, I WISH we had 65 degree weather!!! I'm lucky to get 45 to 50 degree weather to ride in!<g>

I only need the choke to get it going after sitting for several hours or longer.
                MikeG
                Central Oregon
                2006 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Be carefully not to let the choke run for too long you can hurt the spark plugs.
                  Fast Eddie

No day is promised, live life to the fullest!!

Comment

Great point! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the advice!
                    MikeG
                    Central Oregon
                    2006 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Working...
                    X