Joey's POS to Sexy beast thread.. :D

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey's POS to Sexy beast thread.. :D

Hello everyone,

My name is Joey and I am new to the forums as of today. (6/21/15) and I just picked up a 99 katana 600 yesterday for $400 bucks with "16k" miles on it. (no cluster to know for sure)

Anyway outside of the motor running like a champ the bike is in... rough condition. You can tell it was wrecked at one point or maybe a few times. The only plastics it has is the rear section and its in poor condition with a broken tab or two. I will most likely scrap that anyway.

The other major issue is the tranny is stuck in gear. Not sure what the problem is yet but I am assuming I will end up splitting the case.

I am going to continue to update this thread and post pictures of my progress as I take my sweet time bringing this frame and motor to a custom semi-street fighter/semi-fairing'd beast.

Things I plan on doing:

Engine
    DONE: 1. CLEAN IT! It is nasty with dirt and grime and I am going to be cleaning it from top to bottom. Did the initial clean. Plan on cleaning it more before reassembly.

DONE: 2. Inspect it for anything that needs to be replaced. (gaskets mainly, possibly the head gasket if I need to pull them) found out it needs 2 gears from the tranny replaced. I got an entire tranny with drum, forks, gears, and shifter for $55 shipped

Tore the entire engine apart, new gaskets through-out. From covers, to oil pan, to heads, block, etc. All new everything

3. Valve clearances (tapets)

4. Ignition advancer

5. Overall tune-up (plugs, oil, etc.)

6. Possibly a new chain.

7. Researching GSXR cam possibility for a bit of pep.

Carbs
    1. Jet the carbs (if they are not already)

2. Clean and replace seals as needed.

3. Sync (although it runs pretty smooth now)

Exhaust
    1. It has a "custom" exhaust on it now which looks awful. I plan on changing to another can or possibly running it up under the seat and out near the rear seat (after I edit the backend frame)

2. Exhaust wrap or paint.

Frame
    1. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN IT! Done... wow it was dirty as hell.

2. Strip everything off the frame and sand the spray paint off of it. Started stripping down the frame. Swing arm is ready.

3. Paint or wrap the frame (haven't decided yet)

4. Chop the rear and raise it up a bit, possibly make it a bit sportier. Started on this mod, cut the rear a bit, planning the new "style" end with new metal stock.

5. Thicker steel rear wheel adjustments to avoid bending in and loosing alignment

Body
    1. Create custom body panels (not sure what style/material yet but probably fiberglass)

2. Most likely a black/white color scheme.

3. Custom head lights/bracket with custom front end. (may go with dual projector headlamps)

4. Custom tail/blinkers. (integrated into one area)

5. Possibly a custom seat. (although the stock one I have is in pretty good condition)

6. Integrated bluetooth speakers.

Tires
    1. Replacing both but not sure exactly which tire I will go with nor the size.

What I need(and possibly looking to buy):
    (will delete and add as needed)

Speedo Cluster (speedo, tac, gas, etc) Bought with plastic surrounding on eBay for $59 shipped!

Tranny gears Got an entire tranny for $55 shipped

Headlight bracket (most likely making a custom bracket)

Mirrors (doesn't matter if it fits the bike originally)

Windshield (doesn't matter if it fits the bike originally, black in color if possible but still see through)

Handle bar ends in good condition (stock or aftermarket)

driver and passenger foot pegs

SS brake lines (if anyone has extra they are looking to sell, new or close to it)

Anything you may think I need

Things I have bought (price line):
    Price rounded up to the nearest dollar
    1. The bike = $400
    2. Speedo cluster and plastic surround = $59
    3. Complete tranny = $55
    4. RF900R read shock = $48

Running total = $562
    Projected total = $2500

What I started with:

I will continue to post pictures as I make progress. I will also post details on any custom work I do. I still have a lot of research to do on the bike but if it turns out anything like my old custom RF600RR I will be happy and this time I will NOT sell it (unless someone offers me way more than its worth like my RF).

I look forward to the fun.
    Last edited by Yeoj112689; 07-20-2015, 11:02 PM.
    Follow my custom build thread! (check first post for major updates and to sell me parts!)

Free Parts

Good start. Definitely change the chain and check the tire date code. FYI if it's a street fighter.... Sexy it ain't
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 06-21-2015, 10:43 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Valves should be tappet style on a '99

5* ignition advancer is a nice add on. Factory pro stopped making theirs recently. Holeshot still makes one for the bandt 600/1200 that works on Kats. (I have one on my 600)

Factory pro jet kit seems to be the popular recommendation here. Don't use a hi-flo filter or ditch the airbox for pod style filters. Kat carbs need the back pressure provided by the airbox to properly function. Ditch it, and you'll have tuning nightmares.

Good luck, have fun!
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Good start. Definitely change the chain and check the tire date code. FYI if it's a street fighter.... Sexy it ain't
        Well I am not sure if you will call it a street fighter in the end.. you'll have to see it for yourself

Okay I started the strip down

AND IT IS TAPPETS!! Super excited for that part...

Anyway I got 6 of 8 header bolts out and then the 2 closest to the middle stripped when attempting to pull them so I am going to use extractors tomorrow (the kind that go over the head of the bolt) and pull them out.

The trans still seems to be stuck so I am assuming I am going to have to split the case but I am going to look more into it first and try a few other things.

I pulled the entire wiring harness off and got rid of that god awful "headlight"

Going to pull the motor soon and clean up the frame. Looks like someone tried chopping it before in the rear but was slow or something idk.

First day = win.
        Last edited by Yeoj112689; 06-22-2015, 02:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Follow my custom build thread! (check first post for major updates and to sell me parts!)

Free Parts

Comment

So I tore everything down last night. Transmission still won't shift and the front sprocket is still not moving but the clutch spins and the motor spins freely.

Any ideas on a place to start? I am assuming the crank case is going to have to be split.

Free Parts

Comment

Pull the oil pan and take a gander before you split the case. I assume the bike has sat for a while. How long? Was there any information given about the shifting issues from the PO? I would pop the pan off while the motor is in the bike because there may be a clue... and possibly a bunch of metal shavings in it that could narrow down your troubleshooting. If you pull it, and flip it over, you will lose any debris in the pan back into the motor.
            Last edited by maniac1886; 06-23-2015, 05:45 PM.
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
              Pull the oil pan and take a gander before you split the case. I assume the bike has sat for a while. How long? Was there any information given about the shifting issues from the PO? I would pop the pan off while the motor is in the bike because there may be a clue... and possibly a bunch of metal shavings in it that could narrow down your troubleshooting. If you pull it, and flip it over, you will lose any debris in the pan back into the motor.
              Hmm solid point. I already pulled the motor but the way I did it was let the sub frame? Sit on jack stands and the disconnect them from the main frame and remove the mount bolts and then jacked up the frame off of the motor due to the lack of more hands or a hoist. So the motor is still upright and hasn't been turned. I can pull the oil pan still. I'll try that and let you guys know what I see.

Free Parts

Comment

UPDATE(6/24/15):

So I took off the oil pan and found like this fun time in there.

So I am assuming I will have to open the entire case to get to the transmission gears. It seems to be the bigger gear on the backside set of gears. I cannot tell for sure but I am seeing that its going to have to open the crank case unless someone else has any tips that I am missing. Anyway I am going to post these just for fun.

Free Parts

Comment

Yup.... That looks broken. Lol. Sorry. On the upside, at least you didn't have to fish it out of the crankcase. Yes, case has to be split to get the gears out. The cams will have to come out to get enough slack on the cam chain to split it. Cam chain tensioner wouldn't hurt either
                  My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                    Yup.... That looks broken. Lol. Sorry. On the upside, at least you didn't have to fish it out of the crankcase. Yes, case has to be split to get the gears out. The cams will have to come out to get enough slack on the cam chain to split it. Cam chain tensioner wouldn't hurt either
                    Yeah I assumed as much. I soaked the entire motor in engine degreaser (safe parts only of course) and wipe most of it down. Found parts I didn't even know where silver.

I tried downloading the manual for 98+ 600's but the link seems to be broken unless I am clicking the wrong link. Will look more into it tomorrow.
                    I ended up getting the manual just fine

I was wondering if I can pull the heads without separating them from the cylinders (basically without pulling the gasket between the heads and the piston housings) but really I may as well replace them all if I have to pull it anyway.
                    Ended up pulling everything apart, figured may as well when splitting the case anyway

Will start looking for gaskets and disassemble this week.
                    Last edited by Yeoj112689; 07-08-2015, 10:59 PM.

Free Parts

Comment

Now we know why it was only 400 bucks to buy...
                      Have fun and replace as much as you can that way it will last.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat Floyd View Post
                        Now we know why it was only 400 bucks to buy...
                        Have fun and replace as much as you can that way it will last.
                        Lol yeah I knew there were issues when I bought it. The guy was very straight forward with it so I expect it.

I enjoy doing the work so no big deal and I will know the bike inside and out now

Free Parts

Comment

You need to choose whether it's cost effective to repair vs getting another motor. If that motor went threw that much abuse to break gears, is it worth replacing the entire trans, which would cost the same as a good used motor.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                            You need to choose whether it's cost effective to repair vs getting another motor. If that motor went threw that much abuse to break gears, is it worth replacing the entire trans, which would cost the same as a good used motor.
                            To me it's worth it. I enjoy doing the work and its s project for fun, not to save money.

I was looking at used complete sets and honestly they seem to range from 80-150 dollars. Seems super cheap but I'm going to keep looking.

Anyone have a working link to the 98+ 600 service manual? I couldn't seem to get the link working on the sticky page.

Nothing like that first start up after a total rebuild
                            Last edited by Yeoj112689; 06-24-2015, 10:25 AM.

Free Parts

Comment

UPDATE 6-29-15

So if you've followed you know I need to replace a gear which means I have to open the crank case. Well I decided may as well do a total rebuild while I am at it so I decided to do the following!

I started with getting the engine on the engine stand with some great ideas from Stinger02!

Then I started pulling the heads. Which was made much easier with this little beast!

Then the block came along with it

So now I am left with a parts drawer and the crank case to split.

I plan on splitting the crank case in a couple days. I have a job interview early Tuesday so I won't be doing much tonight (Monday). Wednesday I hope to get back at it and see what else I need to replace once I open the case. I found another fragment of a gear so I am starting to lean towards replacing the entire tranny if it looks really bad once I get in there.

Overall it was a good night. Pistons are clean and looking amazing. The block is solid and the cylinders look amazing and clean. No marks or groves.

QUESTION
                              Are the cylinder sleeves steel and prone to rusting? I may throw some fogging oil on them or something to prevent it while its open if so. I know sometimes they are nickel.

EDIT: couldn't sleep, got up and sprayed fogging oil on anything that I thought would rust :P
                              Last edited by Yeoj112689; 06-29-2015, 02:13 AM.

Free Parts

Comment

Working...
                              X