X

Replacing the Alternator

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the Alternator

Been going through the FAQ's and Mechanix section and done a few searches so I've got quite a bit of info. I haven't had to work on this bike since I got it with 50,000km on it and now with 78,000km. I found some good info on carb removal and reinstallation. Looks a lot easier than on my GS. Saw some info on the alternator mostly saying how easy the replacement job is. Somebody said twenty minute job. Not buying that unless those carbs slip on and off a Hell of a lot easier than the ones on my GS do.
    First the symptoms. Battery tests. Key off 12.7 volts. Key on but not running 11.69 volts. Running at idle or 5000rpm still 11.69 volts. Sounds like the r/r to me. As I didn't want mess with taking the alternator apart I purchased one on ebay with low miles. I saw one post that said to disconnect the battery while the engine is running and if it dies this will confirm the alternator as the problem. Is this correct ?
    So if I understand the procdure correctly.
    1] remove gas tank and air box brackets
    2] disconnect the three cables to the carbs and slide the carbs and airbox out as a unit.
    3] undo the three bolts over the alternator
    4] slide the old out and replace with new one.
    I guess it also would be prudent to change the carb boot o-rings while they're out.
    Also I was thinking of replacing the plug wires at the same time. I saw Arsenics post about meauring and cutting them and what kind of wire to use. I bought a set for the GS 750 from Z-1. but never installed them. They are 7mm. Will they do ? Also I couldn't find any info on attaching them to the coils. Are they epoxied like the GS ? If that's the case I'd just as soon replace the coils with dyna's rather than dig all that crap out and re- epoxy. And which particular dyna coil is recommended ? The bike is A 1988 GSX 1100F.
    Thanks for your help.
    Old Age and Treachery Will Beat Youth and Skill Every Time

The wires clip on to the coils on the Kat.

I believe if you measure with the battery unhooked, you should be able to rule out the alt, but I'm not sure.

I can get the airbox off without the carbs on my 90. I've had them off so many times, it only takes a couple minutes at this point.

If you have the same name on GSR, I'm 78550GS on there.
    1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

Well it seems you do have to pull the tank, airbox and carbs.
      I guess it just makes it easier when removing the alternator.
      I used Packard 440 Copper Core 7 mm Spark Plug Wire when I replaced my set. Careful of those coil clips when removing as they are very brittle from age.
      I snapped a couple of them and had to epoxy the ends. I used my stock coils
      with the new wires with no issues. Putting the throttle cable back on can be a little pain in the a** .needle nose pliers helps. Good idea to change out
      the 4 o rings as mine were pretty beat after 20 + yrs. When installing
      carbs -airbox attach throttle,choke... cables first then I attach the airbox to carbs first (remove air filter get your hand in there to seat airbox to carbs ) Re install filter then carbs & airbox to bike in that order. Goodluck with it.

Comment

Thanks guys. Sounds like the plug wires I bought will be okay. I can't really visualize what you mean by clips but I imagine I'll find out when I get in there. I'll take a meter reading from the battery wires if it runs when I disconnect them.
        Yep that's me from GSR same name......

Comment

Another question. Is there a gasket for the alternator cover and should it be replaced ? I can't really tell from the fiche.
          Thanx

Comment

There is an o-ring gasket that is on the alternator when you remove it.
            The manual says to replace it with a new one. It looks to me as it seals out dirt and grime from the internals of the alternator.If yours is toast I would
            replace it.

Comment

Well the job is done and the 70 dollar alternator I bought off ebay works just fine. { a new one is $1226 } We didn't even have to take the cables off the carbs just hung them off a bunge cord off the instrument dash. I don't know how they come out in the other threads I read.. We had to remove the starter motor as well. That and make an extension for the alternator wire. Thanks for all your help guys...... { Now I have to do a search on the leaking fork seals I discovered while doing the job aaarrgh }

Comment

Working...
              X