X

HID upgrade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID upgrade

Looking at a different headlight upgraded with HID's. Options are 35w 6000k or 8000k, or 50w 6000k or 8000k.
    I know the 8000k is slightly less light with a blue'r tint. I like the idea of the blue'r tint though, which is why I looked into the 50w upgrade.
    Just looking for advice from those WITH HID's, not advice of what people have heard. I will have a correct projection housing and ballast so no posts about blinding others please.
    "Just the facts ma'am, just the facts."
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Glad to hear you're planning to do it right. Look for an E-55 projector from the left side. There's a difference in the cutoff screen between left and right sides. A 3.5" projector fits into a stock headlight bucket really well although you do want to mount it as far forward as possible to avoid interference between the high/low solenoid and the bottom of the outer shell. (The reflector will need to be cut back to make room for it.)
    I'd suggest looking for one set up for a D2S bulb although if you find one set up for a D1 bulb at a great price you can remove the square bulb base and get a lock ring to hold a D2 bulb for another $10. D1 base bulbs are significantly bulkier and more expensive than D2s.

I went with the 6,000K bulb. The light color is closer to sunshine and is better tuned to what your eyes can use than the higher temp lights. If you're sticking with a single projector I'd go ahead with the 55W bulb/ballast setup.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I have the 50w 8000k in my Altima with projectors, its pretty blue...ill probably end up swapping out for a colder kit.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I've a 6K 35w bulb fitted on mine with a slim line ballast, fits very nicely behind the front fairing on a post Kat, no alterations needed to the wiring. connection spades just push into the block that would attach direct to the bulb, when testing it works before you finalise fitting heed the manufacturers advice don't look at the bulb, i had sun spots for 2 hrs afterwards lol.

Comment

I suggest 6000k. The 8000k not only has less light output, but it can potentially get you pulled over by police. My 6000k's are absolutely awesome at night. I went with Bi-Xenon bulbs (hi and low beam in one bulb). They came with a shroud mounted around the bulb itself, to prevent the blinding effect, and it also functions in redirecting the beam, for the Hi-low settings.
          ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
          チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
          Semper Fi

Comment

Everybody here is right on track. Trust me when I say that the 6K is going to to be a LOT more blue than what shows in pictures, yet still has lots o useable light. 8K is just way too blue and dim to be useful.

Bill did good with what projector to use.

Comment

Bill did do good with the projection housing. For a stock conversion.
              My bike is far from using a stock headlight housing.
              Thanks for all the input, looks I'll be checking into the 50w 6000k.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

You gonna put an HID into that Norton shell or have another idea?

Comment

1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

i was thinking that an HID in a round headlight was going to be epic....
                    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                      You gonna retro in one for the high beam before you install it?

Comment

Probably not for now. Doesn't seem like it'd be too hard though. High beam you wouldn't really have as much worry over the projection housing. Just mount the light and a secondary ballast.

Just deciding which to use for the low beam. Guess its the 50w 6000k. Time to start ordering.
                        Last edited by cintidude04; 10-21-2011, 12:36 PM.
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Wow, I'm just impressed to see how much the price has dropped on the quality kits!

I don't really ride enough at night to worry about HIDs... I'm pretty happy with my silverstar ultras.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I have a 55w 8k kit in my kat stock headlight and its pretty blue. But I have a 04 Jetta with projectors and it has a 55w 6k kit and they are almost as blue as my kat. From what I have heard the projector amplifys the color.
                            sigpic

Admin Removed Sig Due to Words. Do not Go Around the Swear Filter. Thank you KR MGMT

Haha.....

Comment

Turns out the light Im ordering is Bi Xenon, so it'll be pulling double duty Red.
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X