No announcement yet.
X

My '93 GSX600F project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so.... is that swing arm shorter and lighter then stock pre 600?
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

It's a tad shorter. I will be able to tell you if it's lighter in the future. Now when most of the fabrication is done, I'll tear it apart to tidy it all up. I'll try and get a weight figure by then, and some measurements.

I must admit that my main reasons for fitting the B12 swinger are looks, and being able to fit a larger rear wheel. Which is also 100% looks. The fact that it's shorter is a bonus in my eyes. If it works out to be lighter, bonus x2.

Comment

looks like your pretty good at this and the bike is going to look nice when its done keep up the good work bro.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukibob View Post
          looks like your pretty good at this and the bike is going to look nice when its done keep up the good work bro.
          Thanks. But I have to admit, I have no clue on what I'm doing. I just make it up as I go along.
          Though I must say, I really like the looks of the USD forks and the bigger rear wheel.

Comment

SWEEEET!

Can I have it when your done?

LOL...just kidding ...Really nice work!
            sigpic
            98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
            Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Project

Looks good. How difficult was it to switch the 600 head with the 750 head. Does it bolt right up without any issues. I have not done somehting like this yet but am pretty mechanically inclined and wanted to to see how difficult it was. Let me know your thoughts.

Jeff

Comment

The spare engine is not done yet, I havn't had as much time to work on it as I would have hoped. Right now all my energy goes into getting the frame pieced back together, and I'll start working on the engine again. The engine in the frame right now is more or less only for mockup, to make sure everything works alright with cables and space (carbs vs. tank).

The spare engine is on the workbench, torn apart. I've trial fitted the 750cc (70mm bore) cylinder and pistons, and that seems to fit fine with the stock 600cc rods. Havn't gotten as far as the head yet though.

Comment

dude if you say that your just building this as you go along then write down every thing your doing and send it to suzuki. patent it, cuz your goin places brother.

Comment

Jimmie, have you any progress on the engine build itself?
                    I've found a cheap but decent condition head, barrels and pistons from a '90 GSXR750L and I'm very tempted to give it a go myself, also using a 600 block as a base.
                    If you could post or PM me anything you've found so far from your conversion then the extra info would be much appreciated in deciding whether to bite the bullet and do it.

Comment

Very nice build brother, really liking the usd forks and the swinger. Definitely looking forward to hearing more bout what you're doing engine wise
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Sick build gives me hope in my little 93 600
                        93 katana gsx600
                        2001 yamaha blaster bored to 260cc , banshee axle and front suspension,400ex rear shock
                        2001 land rover discovery 2 inch lift,resonator removal,cdl mod
                        94 bmw 318 5.0 swap under construction

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe_UK View Post
                          Jimmie, have you any progress on the engine build itself?
                          I've found a cheap but decent condition head, barrels and pistons from a '90 GSXR750L and I'm very tempted to give it a go myself, also using a 600 block as a base.
                          If you could post or PM me anything you've found so far from your conversion then the extra info would be much appreciated in deciding whether to bite the bullet and do it.
                          Not much to be honest, so far.
                          Finding a used GSXR head in decent condition have proved quite hard, so right now I'm contemplating on using my spare 600cc head with a set of GSXR cams that I've picked up.
                          I've checked all the measurements I've can think of (except combustion chamber size on the GSXR head, which I don't have) and it should fit just fine. When I get some free time on my hands, and the frame is welded up, I'll measure squish and static compression ratio with the 600cc head and 70mm pistons, just to be 110% sure I wont smash the valves. And figure out if I have to run higher octane fuel, to prevent predetonation.
                          I've also had some thoughts about changing cam timing, but that will have to rest for a while, until I've discussed it a bit further with people who knows more about it than I do.
                          Main difference between the GSXR and GSXF engines seems to be the clutch basket (and clutch actuation of course) and the gear which attaches to the crank shaft. (If disregarding the gearbox itself/gear ratios)
                          The conrods have different part no's, but the small end have the same diameter so the 70mm pistons fits just fine.
                          So I can not see any reason why it can't be done.

And yes, I'm quite aware of the fact that the 600cc head will be restricting power, but it will be a temporary solution until I find a better head. Big power figures arn't my main concern, the added power and torque will probably be more than sufficient for my needs. This is more of a low-budget-see-if-it-works build, than something to brag at the pub with. I'm an amature, and doesn't have any sort of mechanic education (I study sociology, (cand.soc), so pretty far from anything related to mechanics) so please bare over with me when it comes to all the mechanical terms and know how. This is in no way a proffessional build, just an amature with a wrench and a hammer.

Comment

ive been tinkering with kat 600s for 3 years now an u know more about it than i do...
                            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                            Tony
                            94 Katana 600

Comment

The things that come to mind at the moment are:
                              1) They are both the same kind of [long stroke?] engine as far as timing goes?
                              2) Do the 750 barrels and the 600 crank case marry up neatly using a normal gasket, or are there slight variations in shape?
                              3) Differences in cam chain tensioners? I guess you would have to use one from the 750, depending on the shape and gaskets.
                              4) With different carbs, head and bore.. How would one deal with air intake? Stick with the GSXF airbox, or go for pod filters?

Comment

About the timing, I'm not sure. That one is going to be a trial and error, with some help from a friend of mine who knows a bit more about it. (I asume you mean camtiming and not ignition?)
                                I've got two different 600cc CDI's, and an adjustable timing rotor (don't know the correct term), so I will check/adjust ignition timing with that as best as I can.

The 750cc cylinders would need the corresponding cylinder base gasket (and of course head gasket), but that fits according to my trials.
                                Tensioner, it seems to be more or less the same, at least the 600cc one fits okay in my 750cc cylinder.

And last, about the intake. I'm going flatslides with pod filters, mostly due to looks and sound, but I reckon you should be able to use more or less any BST CV carbs with the original airbox.
                                Last edited by Jimmie; 02-23-2011, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X