X

Warning Sticker on Tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning Sticker on Tank

Hey, I've seen lots of great info on getting stickers off and the residue left behind. I have started that process on my kat as a winter project and was wondering about the warning sticker up by the gas cap on the tank. How concerned should I be about applying robust amounts of heat (via hair dryer most likely) to a metal tank full of gasoline? Would love to be rid of the darn warning lables all together but a bit hesitant to tackle the one on the tank. Any other suggestions on how to do it or if my concern is justified?

Thanks!
    2008 ZZR 600 (His)
    Black
    Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
    Red
    Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Unless you shorted something out and caused a spark, I think your okay. Ignition of gasoline is something like 495F, I don't think a heat gun would get it that hot to cause any harm. That being said, I wouldn't hold it on the sticker for 10 minutes or anything. You could probably just use a solvent. Someone else will probably give some other advise as well.
    sigpic

Comment

I tried this and it worked like a charm...

Hair dryer on the sticker until it's as hot as it's going to get. Gas won't ignite without a flame. Then peel/scrape off as much as you can get with a credit card or other hard plastic (so as not to scratch the tank). When it's reasonably cool, use an eraser (pencil rubber) and a fair bit of elbow grease will get it off no worries whatsoever. No scratches, no leftover sticky bits, nothing. Works like a dream.

Comment

Heck, just go to Napa or something like that and buy some 3m pin striping remover spray can. Thats what I used. Cuz even with the hair dyer not all of it came off at least in my case.
        sigpic
        Update Jul 11 2014
        Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

I used WD40 it worked fine but it was also warm out when I did it

Comment

Originally posted by Robgsxf750 View Post
            I tried this and it worked like a charm...

Hair dryer on the sticker until it's as hot as it's going to get. Gas won't ignite without a flame. Then peel/scrape off as much as you can get with a credit card or other hard plastic (so as not to scratch the tank). When it's reasonably cool, use an eraser (pencil rubber) and a fair bit of elbow grease will get it off no worries whatsoever. No scratches, no leftover sticky bits, nothing. Works like a dream.
            ^I like that rubber eraser idea. I bet it did work well.

I used a blow dryer, and then cleaned up the residue with a small amount of gasoline on a rag.

Comment

Hair dryer works great, it won't get too hot. Do NOT have the gas cap open. Do NOT point the dryer down at the sticker, fumes that could exist could travel up into the blower and the possible sparks at the switch could ignite the fumes. Remember all you need is to get the sticker warm, your not melting the sticker off your loosening the glue.

Comment

Thanks guys .. I'm more comfortable with the thoughts of applying heat to my gas tank now.
                2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                Black
                Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                Red
                Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

hair dryer, and goo gone to remove the sticky residue
                  25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

i worked outside and used a heat gun. Keep your free hand on the tank... if the tank gets too hot to keep your hand on it... move the gun. That should keep your paint and gas safe.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

hair dryer and goo gone. then wash with soap/water

Comment

Working...
                      X