Boots?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots?

Still gearing up...

So, in order to ride with the local sport group, they insist on boots.

I have gotten into the (bad?) habit of wearing sneakers, and not looking forward to wearing boots. Boots always feel cumbersome to my gear shift happy feet, but I understand the basic safety issues.

I've seen some sneaker looking boots, so will probably go for that...they just want them over the ankles.

Any suggestions?
    Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS
    Ride: 2002 750F Kat
    "I like my beats fast and my BASS DOWN LOW"

Any over the ankle boot is an improvement. If money is tight look into closeouts from motorcyclegear.com or revzilla.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Please mate, get yourself some proper boots. Even Army-surplus ones are better than trainers or those ankle so-called bike boots. Don't be tempted to use steel-toed workboots, they are very unpleasant to crash in (I speak from experience).

You know how bike boots usually have two pairs of zips and some velcro or other fasteners too? That's so (like the rest of your gear) it stays in the same shape when you need it most and doesn't start flapping about and moving away from the areas it's designed to protect.

Honestly, you'll get used to kitting up after a while. I find it adds to the anticipation of getting out for some fun, you'll even perfect the leather-walk after a while...

This ain't meant to be a lecture, I just want you to have happy times and be safe
      Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

If your gonna be riding a spirited pace spend the cash and get proper boots. You'll get used to shifting in them in no time and all. You can even find some great deals on the close out sites.

When I lowsided I was only doing 30-35mph and my leg was under the bike as I slid across 3 lanes. I was scuffed from ankle to waist on my one side. A proper full boot will help reduce the chance of you hyper-extending your feet in a crash.
        Kyle

Comment

Get proper boots. My leg was broken, rather than severed, because of my proper riding boots. Dont be a douche.
          ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
          チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
          Semper Fi

Comment

You can buy a new bike, can you buy a new ankle or leg?

Expensive boots are cheap in the long run.

Comment

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/scottynoface/boots.jpg
              Last edited by steves; 09-04-2013, 06:50 AM. Reason: Gore
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I wore work boots once while dirt biking years ago. I Luckily I didn't break my ancle but I couldn't walk on it for over a week. Protective boots are priceless in the long run. I used to wear boots made buy a Canadian company named Altimate Gear, they were fairly good boots but I found a pair of Puma 1000 V3 boots on sale for a sweet deal. After one ride with the Pumas I wouldn't wear any thing else. They are very comfy, light and a very responsive boot.

Sure you can save by buying cheap mustard, ketchup, spices, cheap brand pop or freshie instead of Kool-aid but as far as gear buy good quality stuff and get out of those running shoes.

Check out Scouts thread, he has some graphic pics of what happened to his leg which could have been a 1000 times worse if he wasn't wearing proper gear.
                Last edited by dano68; 09-03-2013, 10:22 PM.
                2002 750 Kat
                2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

So, guys...Ronny is the only one with a real suggestion. I like the velcro and zipper ideas, but still have not seen a good pair....I like getting as much info as possible before getting something.

All the nasty pictures and down talking is doing nothing for me. The 1 bad accident I was in I had no leg damage, but I am willing to look at some boots. So...while appreciate the old school scare tactics, I'm really looking for some links, pictures and suggestions of good Kat riding boots. Not full leg leathers with harley wings on them...ya know.

Actually, I'm thinking of taking some fairly comfy army style boots I've broken in, taking off the laces and sewing some velcro to them. That should work eh?
                  Last edited by Circuitmage; 09-04-2013, 10:54 AM.
                  Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS
                  Ride: 2002 750F Kat
                  "I like my beats fast and my BASS DOWN LOW"

Comment

Step 1: Establish Price Range
                    Step 2: Look at boots in said price range
                    Step 3: Pick one you like

Honestly if you are going to buy any quality boot A*, SIDI, Joe Rocket whatever...
                    People's feet are all different.
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Holy SHEEEEEET!!!!!!! Those are not old school scare tactics. It is a great possibility of what could happen. We can not tell you what to do but we can make suggestions from past experiences. Which you asked for, personally we all made "real" suggestions. My boots have the pull tighten system and one buckle, can't get any easier than that.

And from the looks of the thread no one has suggested any thing with "harley wings".

If you do not want oppinions of what to wear or what you should be wearing don't fricken ask.

Do your own research and wear sub par protection if that is what you want
                      2002 750 Kat
                      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Jebus don't sew your own velcro on old army boots.

Boots built for cycle use are constructed to deal with real world cycle related issues/protection.
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I was like you in that I was looking for boots last year. I rode with high top sneakers virtually all last season. I finally got some Axo Primato II boots on closeout this season. Although, you may not care for them (riding boots), I have found that I am much more comfortable riding now that I do have the boots. Shifting took maybe a few days to get used to, but it wasn't any sort of crazy adjustment. I think that you would be happy once you have some good boots. I know that it's made a difference for me. Closeouts are key. I only buy gear that is super marked down.
                          Extra life.

Comment

OK, real world suggestion.

Here is what I've been wearing: Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...gore-tex-boots

So far quite comfy from the mid 40's to the high 90's, feet stayed dry in the rain. Actually pretty comfy to walk in as well, at least for short walks (groceries, shopping, etc.).

Comment

ICON Reign

Take a look at these. Very comfortable and waterproof. Pants go over the boot. Very easy to walk in. Only took a ride or 2 to get used to.

I dont think anyone is trying to scare you, just let you know what happen to them. Minimize your risk! All things being equal, you are safer on your bike with motorcycle boots than without.
                              No matter how far down the wrong road you go, turn around!

Comment

Working...
                              X