No announcement yet.
X

Tell me what gear I want...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not really a 'chaps kinda guy'. Katana + chaps seems faux pas to me...but to each his own.

Yes - my original thoughts about gear was not only to keep warm during the cooler months, but to also be protected 'just in case'. As with anything else, I want to 'have it all' - being well protected, but not too hot in the Summer & warm enough in the Fall/Winter/Spring. Layers seem to be a must in order to get the best value - without having Winter and Summer unique setups.

Most of the suggestions have leaned towards textile stuff + heated or insulative layers. But here's a question - how bulky can they realistically be and not go against what they are supposed to do? - I mean, aren't leathers supposed to be relatively tight to protect properly? (Skid resistance etc)

If leathers are supposed to be tight - how warm are they without say a heated or insulative layer underneath?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post
      I'm not really a 'chaps kinda guy'. Katana + chaps seems faux pas to me...but to each his own.

Yes - my original thoughts about gear was not only to keep warm during the cooler months, but to also be protected 'just in case'. As with anything else, I want to 'have it all' - being well protected, but not too hot in the Summer & warm enough in the Fall/Winter/Spring. Layers seem to be a must in order to get the best value - without having Winter and Summer unique setups.

Most of the suggestions have leaned towards textile stuff + heated or insulative layers. But here's a question - how bulky can they realistically be and not go against what they are supposed to do? - I mean, aren't leathers supposed to be relatively tight to protect properly? (Skid resistance etc)

If leathers are supposed to be tight - how warm are they without say a heated or insulative layer underneath?

Leathers should be properly fitting to prevent malfunction of their design. In that... too large of a jacket can allow for it to slide up exposing skin. It isn't supposed to be skin tight though.

Lots of leather manufactures have zip in inserts for colder weather on the jackets. Can't say I've seen them for the pants though.

Personally I prefer leather for the protection when I can. Textile is definitely going to give you a larger weather range (hot/cold/wet) universal protection though for the least amount of items/layers.

Speaking for myself, when I'm riding and it's cold enough to need/want something other than the leathers I have, I just use my "winter" coat over top of the leathers. It's a larger/slightly over sized jacket anyways, and it's primary purpose is just a wind breaker. Add to that a simple scarf (though mine is hand made custom cause my wife does awesome stuff like that) to keep the chill out of the neck/chin, and the only thing I find lacking is gloves. I don't have good winter riding gloves.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

*note

When I wore the chaps I was living in a remote part of Texas with empty highways that ran forever. I found it easier to wear chaps (cool ones) to teach school than wearing a full leather outfit.

Katriders were generally tolerant of my wearing them at rallies, but Steve has now made it clear that the total leather outfit is much safer. And I appreciate that. In the future, I'll go full leather. I was lucky all those years that on the two occasions I did bite asphalt, I tumbled and didn't slide.
        Last edited by zuma; 11-15-2014, 01:06 PM.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

It's cool Dan, ride your own ride... but I hear that metal brush they use to scrape the asphalt out of your skin really hurts
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Speaking for myself, when I'm riding and it's cold enough to need/want something other than the leathers I have, I just use my "winter" coat over top of the leathers.
            Good idea...glad you thought of it!

Originally posted by steves View Post
            It's cool Dan, ride your own ride...
            Yeah...for sure. It takes all kinds, as 'they' say.

Y'all ever heard of Motoport?

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              It's cool Dan, ride your own ride... but I hear that metal brush they use to scrape the asphalt out of your skin really hurts
              They used steel wool pads on my arms and shoulders...again, you are right about full leather...

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
              X