Fairing Repairs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing Repairs

Hey everybody,
    I recently wrecked my bike and did a decent amount of damage. Originally I was considering just buying new fairings but after looking through some of these forum postings, I'm considering attempting to repair the damage and do a new paint job. Figure I might as well kinda customize my bike while putting all this money into it(and after seeing the prices of new fairings). I read through the manual http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=77439 and it seems like this would be a nice summer project for me. Before I go on, here are some pictures of the damage.

So a few questions I have:
    1)Which epoxy do you think would be best for this type of job? It seems like my choices consist of pastix, Versa Chem epoxy, Permatex 84115 PermaPoxy 5 minute plastic weld, and ABS epoxy.
    2) I might have missed it in the reading, but how do you go about making a new tab(as seen in that last picture)
    3) should I use a Drimel tool to cut some of the preassure off of the large crack before attempting to use epoxy to fill it?
    4) Should just a filler primer w/ sanding be used to smoth out the road rash? or should I use epoxy?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, and sorry for having so many already. Basically I have no experience with plastic repair (I bet you could tell ) but I've been trying to read up a bunch these past few days. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance!
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

The link you posted pretty much shows all of the info required. I recently made some repairs using a bumper repair kit. It was a 2 part epoxy that worked very well. I'll see if i can find the product name for you.

use the search feature for more info.
    Last edited by chinto; 07-14-2008, 02:30 PM.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

looks like missing plastic in places man, i would ditch those and start fresh, road rash and a crack is one thing, missing plastic you cant replace.

Comment

The cracking and plastic scratches are not that big of a deal. The last two though are going to be a bit more fun as you're going to be replacing plastic there.

Personally I like the plastic welder and then fiberglass mesh backing in 2 criss crssing layers on the back side.

Comment

Thanks for the tips(keep bringing them). The second to last picture is actually the hole for my mirror. just the side of that hole is missing a small piece of pastic(in the top right corner of the hole). so really i'm not too worried about that. the tab and the large crack were my major concerns.

Comment

Get naked...The bike I mean.

Comment

Permatex 84115 PermaPoxy 5 minute plastic weld

Comment

if they are ABS (I'm sure they are) I'd use ABS cement

drill an 1/8 hole at the end of each crack to stop it

sand/grind off atleast 1/2 from each side of the cracks & V them out with a Dremel.

fill with ABS cement ( I prefer a small brush oposed to the swab in the can)

I like the big black "paper clips" to hold the parts together.
                sigpic
                89 Katana -94 Katana
                02 CBR F4i - 07 VFR 800
                03 SuperHawk (sold) -
                84 VF500f

Comment

where can you buy the epoxy from?

Comment

here, check this out...

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

I have well over 400 miles on the bike with the permatex epoxy fix and it's still holding strong. I highly reccommend this product.

Oh and by the way, Plastex works fantastic for the missing pieces. It will be no problem to fill in large missing corners and such.
                    Last edited by Rothman; 07-22-2008, 12:19 AM.
                    Some people carry on
                    Some just stay right where they are
                    Our worlds divide

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably be going out to get some plastex fairly soon. Currently I've been using ABS cement(black) to fill in the major cracks. it seems to be working really well. I "attempted" to do the v-notch technique. About the only issue I have had is that it has taken many layers of cement to completely fill in the notches I made. Is it okay to keep adding cement on top of cement? It doesn't seem to be having any problems w/ me doing it and I've tried bending the fairings and the cement still holds incredibly strong.

Also, for making a new tab, exactly how do you go about doing that? I wasn't sure if you should buy some fiberglass sheets and put cement/epoxy over it, then shape it with sanding and attach to the fairing, or is there some other technique?

Thanks again for all of the help. My bike is slowly looking better thanks to you guys

Comment

Working...
                      X