Front end wobble

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end wobble

Hi all,
    The approach of winter has me thinking of repairs and upgrades.
    My '91 with 36k miles has a front end wobble that is getting worse. It used to happen only when I let go of the bars at low speeds, which was only a seldom thing I did to see the wobble.
    Now it is getting more pronounced. I lifted the front wheel at 45 mph going over a road hump and frightened myself so much I had to check my shorts afterwards. With both hands on the bar, the front end started a viscous wobble that ended abruptly when the front end touched down.
    This is steering head bearings, right? The previous owner said that I should replace the bearings with round, not tapered, bearings. The repair book says tapered. What do the collected minds of KR11 think of this?
    And is this a DIY job or should I go to a shop?
    Thanks.
    David

A front end wobble while the tire was in the air?

I have had the front tire skimming the surface of the road which gave the front end a wobble.

Mine had a front end wobble once, I would let go of the handgrips, the front end would shake & then stop, it would start shaking then get worse & worse then just stop, other times it wouldn't do it at all. I changed the front wheel bearings, no more wobble.

I will say to go with the bearings the book says but I could be wrong.

Any type of repair can be a DIY job as long as you know what you are doing & have the tools & the place.
    I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

there are a few things that can cause a wobble. stem bearing, wheel bearing, warped disc, cupped tire, or not properly balance.

I used to get a wobble when I would use lead weights for balancing. it would be ok while the tire was new, but after a the front tire started to show a bit of wear, the wobble would appear. since I started using powder for balancing, I never had a wobble again.

FYI....powder will balance not only the tire and rim, but will also compensate for any bearing play or other issue....to a certain extent.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Would you explain balancing with powder! Never heard of that before.
        2005 GSXF750 Katana
        1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
        1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry
          Would you explain balancing with powder! Never heard of that before.
          the poweder is free flowing and concentrates where needed. many big trucking companies use it because it reduces expense. expense being remove/balance the wheel as the tire wears. that is the problem with weights.....they do not adjust for tire wear, cupping or whatever. the powder does.

you can read more on it by doing a google search. the popular brand is called Equal, just like the sugar. here is one link to give you an idea.

I have been using it for about 4-5 years now, and I love it. zero vibration, zero wobble, smoother ride, and better tire wear. I will NEVER go back to conventional weights.

Comment

I use No Flat which also helps balance the tire:

2005 GSXF750 Katana

Comment

Timken bearings and stabilzer.

Comment

Terry: What are Timken bearings?
                2005 GSXF750 Katana

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry
                  Terry: What are Timken bearings?
                  it's just a brand name. they do not specialize in bikes, so you would need to x-reference the suzuki bearing number with Timken.

Personally, I prefer "All Balls Bearings"

check them out: http://www.goallballs.com/home.asp

Comment

my Kat has a front end wobble when slowing down if I take my hands off the bars - only happens IF the front tire air pressure is low. Might just be a front heavy bike thing IMHO. Same reason the thing is treacherous on gravel or dirt roads.

Comment

any special brand stabilizer you suggest?
                      Biker chicks know how to ride.....

Comment

mine likes to shake itself to bits ...

but not till i'm up to 110 - 120mph, i've tried accellerating thru it, but it just won't go thru it, at 140mph i can hardly see where i'm going and have to back off ....

i'm not sure where the problem lies yet, i think i'm going to have to strip both the front and rear out of it to try and track the fault down ....

i'm not too worried as it'll not get used till next year now (winter is fast approaching here and i've no insurance) ....

i'll not go the "stabiliser" (steering damper) route as that really is only a way of masking the actual problem, i intend to hunt the cause down
                        it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

I noticed that the original factory clip ons or whatever those half handlebars are called ....are really heavy plus they mount those weights at the ends
                          ...Could that be the way to reduce vibrations
                          I have not tried my kat with the new motocross handlebars I mounted
                          nitemare You fitted similar handlebars don't you think it affected the wobbling?
                          Biker chicks know how to ride.....

Comment

those bars were already on the bike, i've no idea what it would ride like with the original bars and fairing on it ....

i've a hunch that my problem is in the rear suspension or wheel tho
                            it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Ugh - never mind my last comment - had progressive springs put in the front of my 89 Kat1100 and now I have a pronounced nearly tank slapping wobble when I am slowing down from above 40 and loosen up my hands on the bars....not sure why. I will try the wheel bance thing and I also want to lower the bike about an inch in the tripple tree since it now rides much higher than it did pre-new springs.

Comment

Working...
                              X