X

Strange throttle response

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange throttle response

Ok so when I'm just cruising or accelerating at a semi-aggressive rate everything is fine, but if I try to crank down on the throttle the rpm's sky rocket with no increase in mph. Do ya'll think that my clutch is going or does it just need to be adjusted? I'm at a loss for what it might be, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Blake

That would definitely be the clutch slipping. I'm going through something similar right now. Check the cable adjustments including the one under the rubber plug in the side of the sprocket cover (check your manual for the procedure) and if that doesn't fix it then you're going to want to replace that clutch pack before you get stranded like I did yesterday.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
      That would definitely be the clutch slipping. I'm going through something similar right now. Check the cable adjustments including the one under the rubber plug in the side of the sprocket cover (check your manual for the procedure) and if that doesn't fix it then you're going to want to replace that clutch pack before you get stranded like I did yesterday.
      Thanks for the info man, is there any brand in particular that you would suggest as a replacement? Or is there one that I could upgrade to that might last longer/perform better?

Comment

What kind of oil are you running in it?

Comment

Right now I'm running valvoline 4 stroke 10w40 but I'm coming up to an oil change in the next week or so if there's another kind I should be using. It's a 2000 Katana 600 with 19,500 miles on it if that makes a difference.

Comment

The oil you've been using should be fine in the Kat. Clutch is definetly either way out of adjustment, or most likely worn out. EBC makes a pretty affordable stock replacement type clutch kit. You might want to do the full kit with new springs, fiber plates and steel plates to be sure you'll get the most life out of the new clutch.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

Glad to hear that the oil I've been using is good because I just continued with what the previous owner had in the bike before me. I was looking through what I could do and I did come across the EBC kit. Have any of ya'll done the replacement yourselves or is it something better left to a shop? If it's something that I can just do myself I'd rather save the arm and a leg they charge to do ANYTHING to your bike. Thanks again for all the help so far

Comment

tery the clutch adjust first...

See My Garage for mods...
                T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Had a lil 250 ninja that did somthing like that, changing the clutch plates didnt fix it, it was the springs that were the issue, not 100% that it would be the same on our Kat's but may be worth a check...they do get fatigued and loose resistance...

Comment

Working...
                  X