X

Wont start and I dont know where to start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wont start and I dont know where to start

Its backfireing. Wont start.... dont know what to do.. Any help would be awesome!!!!

Backfiring shows its getting some spark and fuel.
    Need more info.
    Year? Mileage? Mods? condition?
    Has it been running?
    Give us some history.

I'm heading to bed, but someone will help you.
    Lot's of good people on this site!
    Will see if I can come up with a couple ideas tomorrow.
    Lyle
    1959 Triumph TR-3, 1970 Opel Gt, 1999 F150, 2006 Gixxer 750, Kawasaki KDX-220 dirt bike, Enduro Racing Kart 100cc Yamaha......

Comment

its an 03. About 6500 miles. Absolutely no mods except some scratches I got aftermarket from this really nice road.... um.... Its freezing ass cold out here, I havent ridden her in a month or so. Ran her clean out of gas. Put some in tonight and have had her on the trickle charger. Thats about it. Its kinda coming arounbd a little but still hasnt started. I'm going to keep trying. Any ideas?

Comment

hmmm give it a squirt of carb cleaning into the air filter some times when its really cold they need a lil shot some times specially if sitting for a bit

Comment

I'd switch to PRIME for about 45 seconds, then back to ON or RES -- this will refill the carb float bowls.

If you are planning on winterizing, I hope you added some stabil to the fuel. If you're not planning on winterizing, add some techron to the fuel instead (help clean the passages).

Good luck!

PS - you haven't monkeyed with the firing order, right?

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks all... I'll give it a shot. I might have fried my starter. It just clicks right now. Going to let it sit for a sec and re-charge. Hopefully I'll get it tonight

Comment

I'm guessing firing order or fouled plugs (before I changed mine my bike would backfire every time it was even slightly cold out and ran like crap)

Fuel + air + compression + spark = runnign motor
              97 Katana 600
              [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Before I change out my plugs and do all that mess again I am going to try the petcock position to pri and then give it a couple cranks. I am pretty sure that will do the trick. Oh and my starter isnt bad like I had thought. Wish me luck

Comment

starter clicks = low voltage generally....
                  None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                  -Robert Morrison

"
                  well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

try boosting it from a car/truck that is turned on. If mine is cold it just needs that little extra boost to get it going then its good to go for the day.

Comment

Originally posted by andrehendricken
                      try boosting it from a car/truck that is turned on. If mine is cold it just needs that little extra boost to get it going then its good to go for the day.
                      I thought it was key for the car to be NOT running, but I could be wrong....
                      None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                      -Robert Morrison

"
                      well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Yes, you are better off using a car that is turned off. If the charging system in the car is over-voltage or otherwise questionable, it can damage the circuitry in the bike... on the other hand, the starter in the bike is so small compared to the car's that the drain shouldn't be significant.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

sorry your right, I boost it from the car turn off, but if I boost it from the ride-on lawmmower its running.

Comment

Backfiring = check plugs . Probably cruddy .....
                            And clicking = you killed your battery . Charge or jump like suggested .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You jumped the solenoid and it worked. Doesn't that pretty much tell you want the problem is?

Comment

Working...
                              X