No announcement yet.
X

Insurance help Please!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can discount the insurance premiums you are quoted by doing a couple of things. Joining a motorcycle organization can give you an additional discount (up to 15%). You can also try to bundle your insurance with other items. Since you likely live with your parents, you can combine insurance with other items such as a home and automobile.

Unfortunately, Ontario (and Canada for that matter) has little in the way of competition and it's reflected in the motorcycle premiums you are being quoted. However, you should be able to get that premium to under $2000 dollars with some footwork. I didn't accept the first quote I recieved, if I did I would be paying double what I'm paying now.

So you can likely decrease you premiums by...

- Joining an organization for discounts
    - Take an MSF
    - Being nice to your parents and convince them to bundle.

Good luck.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Originally posted by twelve-five
      $2500 sounds like way too much! You need to shop around big time, and you should ask them how much cheaper it will be if you take a course...you will be very pleasantly surprised, I was!
      Whoops, guess I was right out of er on that post, although I haven't been 16 for some time. I know some guys that are only a year or two older that don't pay that much.

Anyway, good luck with you quest, let us know what happens

Comment

I live in maine and I am 16 years old. For just liability coverage my insurance for the year is 480 dollars. Which is pretty good for my age. So yeah I would shop around alittle bit for insurance. Good luck
        Project Katana

1998 Katana 600

Comment

Places like progressive and Geico tend to take alittle more info on your bike to help with the rates..still doesnt always mean they are the cheapest by any stretch..but as compared to some agencies who see "sport" bike and start thinking $$$$ . Even though the Kat is a sport tourer. 16 years old is considered high risk by any standards so yeah you're going to be pretty high regardless.
          I cant speak for any Canadian agencies in particular but I know progressive has always treated me well and they've had my bike policies for a long time.

Comment

Joe - don't be confused by the quotes that the Americans are giving you. American insurance pricing is completely different than what we have up here in Canada. It even varies from province to province. You will NEVER see prices like that up here in Canada.

Tonic makes a good point, check to see if you can get put onto your parents policy...but you might have some issues doing that since this is for a bike. Some brokers will only add you onto your parents policy if you are ONLY driving a vehicle registered in THEIR names.

I'm being brutally honest here, be prepared to pay a lot of money for insurance. The joys of being 16 and a new driver/rider.

Comment

lol... for a 2006 busa my insurance would be $3005/yr. that is nuts.
              I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
              http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Anyone else with help.

Comment

Joe your best bet is to open your yellow pages and call a few brokers.

Kingsway
                  Jevco
                  Primmium
                  RBC
                  ING
                  Holman
                  to name a few

Your insurance is based on a few things

1) Your age
                  2) your driving record
                  3) The Bike
                  4) Where you live
                  5) rider trainer or group discounts

The Kat is considered "sport touring" by most companies so your lucky there, and some will also give you a discount for taking the Rider training course.

Were abouts are you located anyway?

To be honest I think your stuck with high rates unless you go faculty(any insurance broker can give you a faculty quote). No offence but at 16 your considered an accident waiting to happen by the insurance companies.

You also can ignore any post in this thread not made by people in Ontario, no Offence to those that have posted but the fact is Ontario Insurance especially for bikes is in favour of the insurance companies. Sport Bikes Are by most companies black listed and hit with a surcharge of 2-300%. We don't have the market base they have in the States and therefor a hell of a lot less competition for your bussiness.
                  Kyle

Comment

Working...
                  X