X

92 GSXR 1127 engine into 750F Kat, questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
    I been waiting for somebody to chime in who rides with a 5.5 wheel, let us know how much of a difference it makes from their experience.
    I'm just talking theory here, I haven't yet taken the time to mount my 5.5 wheel with it's 190 tire for a look see and measurement. Will probably do that soon.
    5.5"?

Are you using a stock swing arm?

Must have missed something?
    Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
    The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

• Originally posted by Tekgnome View Post
      5.5"?

Are you using a stock swing arm?

Must have missed something?
      Sorry, look at this thread, it's about wheels-tires

Comment

• Purrr...deey !
        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

• Fitting the body panels on and adjusting new fitting issues.
          The taller block raised the carbs, that raised the airbox, that pushes up on the tank.
          See the gap between the side panel and tank.

Comment

• Decision time...
            I would buy some pods and try to tune it before customizing the air box. They are only about $20, so its worth trying to save some time. Make sure you buy the cone shaped ones ! They work perfect on my 600cc. !!!
            The only other option I see is a intravenous system, then fab later.
            EDIT: Actually, you may want to save $20 and attempt to tune it without any air filter period. You'll risk back fire through the carbs which can be a dangerous situation while on intravenous, but you'll know if it will accept those pods if you get it running. The pods can act like a snuffer to extinguish back fire.
            Last edited by katanarider; 11-27-2015, 05:00 PM.
            My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

• Use a heat gun and flatten the air box a little, it's just plastic.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                Use a heat gun and flatten the air box a little, it's just plastic.
                100% agree with that.

If you want to keep it simple stick with the box.

If you don't mind spending a lot of time tuning it for pods go for them.

I'm not running a airbox on my 1156 but I'm paying Ken from prostock preformance & dyno to fine tune it on a dyno. Its not cheap to dyno tune a Carb set up but it will give you a potentially slight boost in horsepower/torque.

Also I personally would Not recommend running with no filter. A rice sized pebble could potentially be dangerous if sucked in to the engine.
                Last edited by Tekgnome; 11-27-2015, 05:45 PM.
                The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

• Well, I have a lot of respect for all the work the Suzuki engineers put into developing their bikes, besides all the posts from people frustrated with pod filters.
                  Velocity stacks and filters for them was a subject I read up on back in my car racing days. Seems all pod filters diminish the venturi effect of stacks.
                  I was thinking of slicing off the protruding parts of the top, scalping it, then adding a flat cover to seal it again, but softening it with heat and pushing it down, reshaping it, that might work.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Well, I have a lot of respect for all the work the Suzuki engineers put into developing their bikes, besides all the posts from people frustrated with pod filters.
                    Velocity stacks and filters for them was a subject I read up on back in my car racing days. Seems all pod filters diminish the venturi effect of stacks.
                    I was thinking of slicing off the protruding parts of the top, scalping it, then adding a flat cover to seal it again, but softening it with heat and pushing it down, reshaping it, that might work.
                    Thanks.
                    Pods on a 1100&1200 are supposed to be OK, the pod problem is apparently a issue with the different cam profile / displacement In the katana blocks. Also some people neglect to notch the pod on the inside and it smothers the inlet air holes on the top of each Carb opening.

Properly set up pods should actually provide a performance gain and work decent on our swaps.

That saying it's a lot of work to get it to run perfect if you don't have dyno access.
                    The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

• And needing the dyno again when you have to service them again and screw up the setup.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

And needing the dyno again when you have to service them again and screw up the setup.
                        Just Wright down the setting of the needles, screws etc. Save it to your computer
                        The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

• ? You think they log down screw turns? They'll tune it for the best performance, that's it no logging. They aren't your personal race team. You'll have to check that when you service them. Which, if it goes as normal, theyll forget to do that.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

? You think they log down screw turns? They'll tune it for the best performance, that's it no logging. They aren't your personal race team. You'll have to check that when you service them. Which, if it goes as normal, theyll forget to do that.
                            You can always count the turns+ degrees it takes yourself when you pull the carbs.

I don't see how if you dissemble it you can't log the settings and put it back once they are serviced.

I'm going to ask for my tune specs it can't hurt to try
                            The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

• Too many adjustment options

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                              They aren't your personal race team.
                              This so true about DIY racers, there's just too many tweaks all over the whole machine, suspension through engine, plus concentrating on your riding or driving issues.
                              I found that out with race cars, you get torn between servicing the machine to the highest tune, and driving flat out to win or bust.
                              I like the simple 3 option adjustment for the Katana shocks, eliminates so much time consumption.
                              If you want so many adjustment options at the track, you're gonna need a tech to work with you, and have to pay them.

Comment

Ok Kreylyn,
                                I have a wider wheel from a 750 GSXR 88-92, and I'm reading your sticky, but no pics.
                                It looks like the 5.5 wheel will be 8-9mm left of center in a pre 750 swingarm.
                                This means that only one swing arm needs cutting?
                                How bad is that for handling? Seems like left-right turns will be different.
                                Thanks.
                                Larger wheel has a larger axle. I did a custom axle and made all kinds of work out of making a 17mm axle work for the mod the first time... bad choice, much easier to go 20mm.

If you go 20mm axle (which I recomend!) then you will need to use a different caliper bracket than the Kat.

Combination of wider wheel (hub/carrier) + spacers and caliper bracket for the 20mm axle = both arms need to be adjusted equal distance.

So... to simplify...

Widen both arms same distance and use the 20mm axle/spacers/caliper bracket with the 5.5" wheel = will be centered and not offset.

As for handling... it's awesome and I prefer the 5.5" wheel personally. Very stable, very smooth transitions.

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                                X