No announcement yet.
X

poor storage conditions, but i have no choice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, don't run the pump dry. Just drain the tank and the fuel lines, the 636 pumps are finnicky no reason to throw more stress at it. It primed when you turn the key so no worries when you go to start of again.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
      You don't flush with water. You purge with diesel fuel or just let the inside of the tank dry out through evaporation and then swish enough motor oil around to wet the entire inside surface. About half a cup of oil should give you enough to get the job done pretty quickly. You're draining the excess back out, anyway so in the end you'll end up with a couple tablespoons in there, tops.

Note: If you actually purge with diesel then you shouldn't need to coat with oil. The diesel should provide enough coating for rust prevention.
      Alternatively, you could try using fogging oil that they use in marine engines during storage. That should do the trick pretty effectively.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Never tried that stuff. Does it come in an aerosol or something?
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Never tried that stuff. Does it come in an aerosol or something?
          I've seen in in aerosol and in plastic jugs.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Reason I was asking about an aerosol is the name "fogging" oil. It'd sure be nice if you could just spray it in the tank and get a fog of oil that would hit even the top of the tank.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Reason I was asking about an aerosol is the name "fogging" oil. It'd sure be nice if you could just spray it in the tank and get a fog of oil that would hit even the top of the tank.
              I think they call it that because they spray it into the engine while running to coat the cylinders, not because it actually makes a fog when it sprays. Its whole purpose though is to protect metal parts while sitting, though, so I'd expect that it would be a good choice for fuel tank protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                This isn't fully correct... yes, it does create a preventative coat. It does NOT stop oxidation from occuring. Put a piece of aluminum in water, and come back 3 days later. You will have a nice fuzzy bar.

Never leave aluminum in direct contact with water.

Getting all the water out of a tank is near impossible with out using something else that would be better to flush with anyways,... this is why you don't want to flush with water. If any is left inside, that spot will continue to corrode... and can form a hole.

Krey
                It stops oxidiation from occuring in the bare metal under the aluminum oxide.. which is what i originally stated...

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                  It stops oxidiation from occuring in the bare metal under the aluminum oxide.. which is what i originally stated...

No, it doesn't stop it. It can slow it down for air exposure, but direct contact with water sitting on it will continue to corrode the aluminum.

If it did stop it, then polished rims would turn dull (oxidiation) but wouldn't pit... unfortunately for those who polished their rims, they find out soon enough that oxidation layer alone isn't good enough to prevent them from pitting.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    No, it doesn't stop it. It can slow it down for air exposure, but direct contact with water sitting on it will continue to corrode the aluminum.

If it did stop it, then polished rims would turn dull (oxidiation) but wouldn't pit... unfortunately for those who polished their rims, they find out soon enough that oxidation layer alone isn't good enough to prevent them from pitting.

Krey
                    Thats due to the alloy composition...
                    Find a scuba diver with a DOT rated 3AL tank that has been submerged in salt water for hours or longer at a time.. Or that has been sitting with moisture in the tank... Then clean off the aluminum oxide and see how much pitting was done.... I have an E6498 with a 3AL overstamp, Original manufacture date of 1981, that no one will recertified eventho the 3AL overstamp means the tanks is certified past the expiration of the E6498 exemption that you can have if you want to do some tests....
                    Last edited by numus; 10-25-2011, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Find a scuba diver with a DOT rated 3AL tank that has been submerged in salt water for hours or longer at a time.. Or that has been sitting with moisture in the tank... Then clean off the aluminum oxide and see how much pitting was done.... I have an E6498 with a 3AL overstamp, Original manufacture date of 1981, that no one will recertified eventho the 3AL overstamp means the tanks is certified past the expiration of the E6498 exemption that you can have if you want to do some tests....
                      I've never seen a motorcycle that used a scuba tank as a fuel tank.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                        I've never seen a motorcycle that used a scuba tank as a fuel tank.
                        The point was alloy composition. Rims are very low aluminum content because they would fold under the weight of the car. Aluminum is very malleable.

Comment

The DOT approves scuba tanks?

Is that for guys who want to use them in the soapbox derby?
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yes, the Department Of Transportation specifies standards for pressurized vessels. (Like SCUBA tanks.) It's a matter of packaging pressurized gasses for transportation. Conveniently, the same standards can be applied to rating them for use.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                              The DOT approves scuba tanks?

Is that for guys who want to use them in the soapbox derby?

They are actually the only agency that has any regulations over pressurized vessels. Everything from Propane tanks to aircraft oxygen storage bottles, from Fire extinguishers to firefighter SCBAs are regulated by DOT.

Yes, the Department Of Transportation specifies standards for pressurized vessels. (Like SCUBA tanks.) It's a matter of packaging pressurized gasses for transportation. Conveniently, the same standards can be applied to rating them for use.
                              Yup you use to be able to look up alloy specifications based upon the exemption number, but now with the 3AA steel and 3AL aluminum ratings, you only know the rough composition of the alloy.

Comment

This is relevant to the this board discussion, parts on any motorcycle, or in anyway dismisses my point... "don't leave water on your motorcycle aluminum parts"... How?

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                                X