X

side stand safety switch issues.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• side stand safety switch issues.

My brothers bike, a 1994 kat 600 that he just purchased runs great!

The problem is, it wont go.

after searching around for a reason I found a large amount of duct tape on the kickstand used to "engage" the sidestand safety switch. Needless to say it wasnt working very well. After talking to arsenic and others I traced the lines, snipped them and bypassed the switch. (shown here)

This STILL did not fix the problem.
    The bike will start fine, clutch engaged and neutral light on. Once you kick it into gear with the clutch engaged it will die just like you do not have the safety switch on. Which I find odd since it has been bypassed....

This is the location of the wires traced from the switch:

Does anyone have any other ideas?
    We are at a standstill and dont know what else to do, so we are open to any suggestions!

thanks for your help guys, we're completely lost

Did you make a jumper wire. You can bypass it all day long but it needs to loop back in to fool it. You are on the right track just have not gotten the loop correct.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

The blue piece in the first picture is connecting (or looping) the wires together. Or at least I'm pretty sure it is?

Comment

Double check it. I bet it is not connecting correctly. Make sure the switch is completely disconnected. If there is still the littlest bit of current making it pass it will cut the engine.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

the switch has actually been cut off, I traced the lines back to another set of connectors and am working from there, so there cant be a false connection from the safety switch.

Im really stumped here guys, im going to strip the wires and tie them together to see if that works tonight...if not....I have no idea what to do.

Comment

does the neutral light come on? this safety circut runs thru a side stand relay, then thru the side stand diode which is tied in with the neutral lite. make sure you cut and jumpered that dark green wire and black with white wire ONLY between the side stand switch and the side stand relay. your pic shows your jumper way far away from the actual side stand switch.
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
              does the neutral light come on? this safety circut runs thru a side stand relay, then thru the side stand diode which is tied in with the neutral lite. make sure you cut and jumpered that dark green wire and black with white wire ONLY between the side stand switch and the side stand relay. your pic shows your jumper way far away from the actual side stand switch.
              i dont want to hijack this thread, but its pretty much the same question as posted.

i just got a 97 GSX600F. it DOESNT have a kick stand switch at all. I knew it was missing because it had the Blk/Wht wire and GRN wire cut just a few inches away

looking at the wiring schematics, i went ahead and soldered a diode in between both cables. is that how to properly fix the issue if i dont have a kick stand switch for now
              97 GSX600 w/ 9,363mi = $300 (Deal of the century)
              94.5whp on a Dyno Dynamics

Comment

cut them at the kick stand and wire them together and you should be good or get a whole new kick stand i have one if you need one lol

Comment

you can just replace the kickstand switch not the whole kickstand assembly i should think.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                  X