X

Track Day on the Katana!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Day on the Katana!

Did my first track day this weekend. I've been riding for years and had my '05 Katana 750 for a little over a year. I did two track days this past weekend at the Talladega Gran Prix track in Munford,AL more commonly known as "Little Talladega".

The instructors with SportbikeTrackTime are all really awesome and do a GREAT job! They have a SUPER program for new track riders. The Novice program includes 20 minutes classroom, 20 minutes break, 20 minutes track time. Then repeat. Over and over all day. They teach you basics and build on them in the next session. I don't know if you can get a training/classroom value like this anywhere else.

If you've never done a track day I can't even begin to explain to you how awesome it is. All I can say is DO IT! It will definitely help you understand the capabilities of your bike and yourself.

The Kat is not a track bike by anyone's standards, but you can still have a hell of a lot of fun on a track with it! I was into triple digits on some VERY short straights (entire track is 1.4 miles) and was able to finally drag a knee on the only right hander on the track. (They run Little Talladega counter-clockwise.)

Here is the track:

Here is the Talladega Gran Prix website: http://www.tgprace.com/about_track.htm

I'm waiting for US129 to get the pictures posted then I'll get some of the Kat in action posted up.
    Last edited by mharrison; 05-27-2008, 01:47 PM.
    -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Wow!!! Sounds like alot of fun didn't know that you could go to that track and I live in Alabama.
    "Army Strong" Chief Warrant Officer Brisco!

sigpic

Comment

I have been there before. Buddy use to race in WERA. They are having a trackday up here in Nashville in August and October. I am hoping to get in on the October one.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

awesome this will only push me to make it to a track near me to learn more and get more comfortable with my kat. Thanks for the post

Comment

Kool Beans
          sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

Sounds awsome, I wish I had that over here.

Comment

Very nice! Glad you had a great time
              It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Check out www.trackdaymag.com if you want more info on track days.

I'm not trying to spam, but this is one of our clients at work, so I thought I'd share.

Comment

That's alright! The closest thing to me doing Track Day was around Lake Apopka, here in Orlando. Gotta check Daytona to see if they do a Track Day. They usually have AMA race days during Bike Week. Glad you had fun!!!
                  Looking good is understood!!!

Comment

Sounds like a blast! I have to look for a trackday nearby where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by PilotC150 View Post
                      Check out www.trackdaymag.com if you want more info on track days.

I'm not trying to spam, but this is one of our clients at work, so I thought I'd share.
                      No problem. I sure don't consider it SPAM. I've been loving TrackDayMag for some time now. I think others who are interested will find it a good resource as well.
                      -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                      -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

Originally posted by mharrison View Post
                        No problem. I sure don't consider it SPAM. I've been loving TrackDayMag for some time now. I think others who are interested will find it a good resource as well.
                        Good to know, I'll let my buddy at work know that people are enjoying his work (he made the website).

It was actually K3 (Chris Onwiler) from TrackDayMag who personally walked me through the cleaning process of my carbs.

Comment

nice. So katana did pretty well on a track? I'd love to do a track day.

Comment

hey pilot, they do track days up at BIR in brainerd. we go up to watch the CRA. we also hope to go to road america for the AMA suzukie superbikes first weekend of june if you're interested. we rough it smoothly in the MoHo dragging the bikes
                            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

That's great, sounds like you had a lot of fun
                              2007 Honda CBR600rr
                              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X