X

Pics of Finally pulling Plugs...Now the Carbz 4 cleaning

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of Finally pulling Plugs...Now the Carbz 4 cleaning

I was riding from work (45 minute commute), bike was normal. I get almost home and was doing about 70 and tried to give it gas to pass and no response (almost on E with about 130 miles, usually get up to 180 or so) so I thought maybe running out of gas and the gauge maybe off so I turned the petcock. But still nothing...downshifted and no gas response...so I held in the clutch and coasted to a stop on the side (it stalled while coasting). Checked the gas tank and it was about a gallon so I tried to start it in neutral and it just wouldn't hold an idle. So I was giving it gas while starting and it fired up like normal as I shifted it stalled. So I went to the Gas station brought a carb/fuel injection cleaner (thought maybe since gas was low had a lil water or bad gas) filled her up and continued home (about 10 miles)...everything was fine...same power, gears working, no sputter, a little knock noise just in first gear but everything was running and sounding normal except at the lights I had to keep a lil gas so it would stay idled. Got home and tried to let her run a lil to get the carb cleaner going and she would not stay idled, am I missing something????
    "Keep the Rubberside Down"...an u damn right...go YANKZ, JETZ n KNICK until the NETS get 2 BK!

check the plugs maybe i had a car all of a sudden start runnign like ass and i checked the plugs one of the elctrodes was missing

Comment

Oil Drip

Just let her sit for a while and went back to the garage to try and start her up but under from a black tube was 4-5 small drips of oil (not a puddle but never seen that before) could that have something to do with the low idle??

she's a '96 600 with about 31,000 miles
      "Keep the Rubberside Down"...an u damn right...go YANKZ, JETZ n KNICK until the NETS get 2 BK!

Comment

Which black tube??? You should have several black tubes. Two of them are overflows for the carbs and go over the air box and down around the swingarm. Another has a black cap on it and hangs out the right side by the peg (drain for the airbox) and lastly, another black tube that goes with that one that is an overflow for the fuel gauge sending unit on the bottom of the tank. Be specific Bob!!
        sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
        MSF Rider Coach 27028
        MoPowerSports.com
        Torco
        SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Carb Overflow...

Looked it up and it was the Carb over flo, went back out 2 start her and no drops were in the new spot I rolled her to. But I started her up with a lil gas she stayed running idled regular about 1000-1500 but sounded and was dipping like she wants to stall but kept it up and then stalled after about 4 minutes...So I am hoping it is bad gas/lil water, but hoping the cleaner is doing its thing.

Comment

sound like crap in the carbs like a float is stuck open

Comment

Yeah, I'd probably say something got into your carbs or gas tank. Then again, what the hell do I know.

My bike wouldn't idle and would stall when I engaged the clutch. Cleaned the carbs and discovered rust in the gas tank

Comment

Originally posted by Sin
                sound like crap in the carbs like a float is stuck open
                +1

Or a dirty air filter (or airbox filled with liquid), or bad plugs.

IMHO:
                Yank the plugs and look at them (take pics and post them up). Then yank the airfilter and swab out the airbox, plus drain the drain tube (make sure you refold it before you start the bike again!). If the airfilter is wet or clogged, replace it before proceeding (if using a K&N, clean it and reoil it).

Finally, pop off the carbs and yank the bowls... look carefully for any debris. Anything that looks like bright orange paste is a sure sign that your gas tank has a ton of rust in it and needs to be treated (see my rust-in-gas-tank webpage). Clean thoroughly and check the floats to make sure they are bobbing up and down as they should be.

Good Luck!
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Plugs

what can cause plugs

Comment

Plugs

Pulled the plugs and all were typical except #4 had moisture on it, airbox had a little oil n it and filter was good. None of these pics came out well, but just 1 had oil or whatever .......
                    Attached Files

Comment

Put the spark plug on white sheet of paper next to your foot and shoot the pic again (instead of holding it up).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        Put the spark plug on white sheet of paper next to your foot and shoot the pic again (instead of holding it up).

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        what we want to see is the insulator

tim

Comment

Pulled Carbz

Took the plugs up 2 the local dealer 2 buy new ones...the mech n the back looked at them and said they were fine just regular wear and i can put bac if I wanted (brought new 1'z since I was n there)...So I looked n my airbox and by only 1 of the ports it was wet...so I pulled the carbz because that one is hopefully stuck open or something, but they were filthy so I am going 2 clean them out I'll take pics once I finally get busy on them... still breaking in my new bike!!!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Drips

See the drip from the airbox hose under the bike n the last pic before I opened her up....
                            Attached Files

Comment

just did mine now taking on the carbs
                              Its better to experience the bitter taste of defeat, or the sweet rush of victory, than not to experience either, and stay wondering WHAT IF?

Comment

Working...
                              X